Mont Vernon temp differantial when cold.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deed

Dec 22, 2007
Central Me
I have been running a Mont Vernon for five years love it. Recently had the house remodel with much more open space. Looking to see if I can keep the stove from coming on so often. Are other people running the differential to 3 degree?

Second question I haven't played around with this stove much in the time I have had it. Not sure what flame hight indicates, minus is that a lower or taller flame? I have played around, not noticing much difference

I run my Vernon at a 2* differential.

The flame height, yes minus is a lower flame. I think when it is on high it should have about an 8" flame height. It should be an active flame, meaning no lazy ends on the flame, no black tips, if you have this lower the flame height.

I run both mine @ 2 degree difference,but I've never been to 3 degree.I guess you could just raise up your set temp to keep the stove running longer, and not cycling on and off as much.As far as the flame height goes,minus lowers your flame and + raises the flame.

I run mine in Auto with a 1.5 degree differential. I also set the flame to +2. After the morning warm up, the thermostat sets back by three degrees, and so far this season I haven't seen the stove go on again until about three hours later. I'm sure that with temperatures in the teens coming in that will change

. It should be an active flame, meaning no lazy ends on the flame, no black tips, if you have this lower the flame height.
Early on I ran mine at various different settings looking for where I felt it worked best. Even at flame height set to +5, I was able to get flame the height of the fire chamber but, I never saw lazy ends or black tips to the flame.

Early on I ran mine at various different settings looking for where I felt it worked best. Even at flame height set to +5, I was able to get flame the height of the fire chamber but, I never saw lazy ends or black tips to the flame.

I have done the same, it must depend on what type of fuel you burn. I'm sure there is a drastic change in the flame between wood, corn and biomass pellets. What I said about the flames being lazy and black was from the manual, not from experience.

2 degree differential here. When it gets really cold I sometimes drop it to 1.5.

I run 1 degree differential, so that the stove idles less often and soots up less. I had 3 degrees before, and in the shoulder seasons, it would take so long to drop the 3 degrees that the stove would shut down (Smartstat option), and would have to relight. The alternative was to let it idle for a couple of hours between "burns".

Status
Not open for further replies.