montgomery ward specs and manual needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

james57

Oct 22, 2010
new jersey
I have a MW Franklin wood heater vmt # 21015r
East Brunswick NJ will not let me install with out specs
stove is 10 years old and i got from yard sale
any info Thank you

If it is a Sears model it will list the model number on the tag on the back of the stove. Have you checked with Sears to see if they still have the manual listed as a part number? If they don't, the stove could have been made by US Stove. Look at their Ashley room heaters for similarity and download the manual for the matching stove.

Could be difficult, if not impossible, to find the exact model manual. Both Sears and MW used multiple sources over the years and decades for their Franklins.....in other words, sold many different models.

As to the age, people tend to have fuzzy memories.....I personally don't remember Sears or MW selling these models in the last 20+ years or more.....

I can state is more accurately this way, 98% plus of those fireplaces were sold 30 years ago or longer.

Also, if it was only ten years or so old, there would almost surely be a readable label riveted to the stove with the UL numbers and everything else on it.

Note.....
search google for:

franklin fireplace model 21015

You will find a PDF which contains a notice from the FTC specifying that model in the last 1970's and 1980 - based on deceptive ads about the clearances.....

The same document actually has specs as to the proper clearances......maybe that will help you!

Craig

Sorry, my bad. A quick read missed the Franklin. :red: Thought it was an Ashley cabinet stove. I would make the Franklin into a nice outdoor stove or planter.

The enclosed is the order from the FTC about the heater you own.

Apparently, it needed some sort of modification to even be installed with these clearances.

Attachments

• Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 2,463
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP AND INFO
Now in your opion do you think i should just get new wood stove ?
that is up to date and codes
or are these old models good enough

james57 said:
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP AND INFO
Now in your opion do you think i should just get new wood stove ?
that is up to date and codes
or are these old models good enough

Can you safely install and burn an old stove? Yes. Should you? probably not.

A new EPA stove can be had with much lower clearance requirements, better construction, and most importantly MUCH higher effeciancy. Most people who switch out some random old stove for a new EPA model note as much as a 60% decrease in wood use. That is a substantial amount. Less cost or work for the same comfort... depending on how you get your wood and/or value your time/work, the new stove pays off pretty quick if running 24/7..

Definitely get a new stove or at least a top quality model older stove in good condition. A new stove will be much safer and it will have much closer clearances, burn much cleaner, and will use less wood. Plus there is a tax credit until the end of the year. All these factors add up to a safer more satisfying installation.

Tell us a bit about the house, the area for the stove, and what is currently in place (if anything) for a flue.

If it were to be installed in a cabin/shack that gets used for a few days a year, then I'd perhaps install the old girl. But otherwise this is definately the year to get a new unit considering the 30% tax break on the stove and accompnaying installation costs.

pen

Vote to get a new stove . . .

Burns less wood which means less time and/or money spent buying and/or scrounging and/or processing wood.
Tax credit.
Better clearances.
Clean and long burns.
New ones look mighty pretty.

I'm a bit late in checking this post but I have to also vote for not installing it. There is very little control with this stove and you will get very little heat for the amount of wood you have to run through it. They were popular for a time but their time has run out....thankfully. They are an accident looking for a place to happen.

If you wish to put one outdoors and use it there, all should be fine. A planter? No. That looks crazy. Use it for outdoor fires or trash it.

Status
Not open for further replies.