Montpelier on CL for parents with install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCounty

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2009
Southeast PA
Last year, parents decided they wanted an insert. They ordered Montpelier with Mead surround at local shop last December. As of July, it still wasn't in. I told them to get their money back and I would find one for them on CL.

Finally found one on CL that was 3 hours away. It was 2 years old, and in nice shape for 1/2 price of it new. Made the deal with the guy and picked up yesterday. It is in very good shape. We also decided to run the liner down the chimney...grrr.

Cut the lintel, no problem. Flue is 8 X 13. Liner was going fine until about 5 feet from end where the terra cota flue ended into what I guess is a smoke chamber??? It needed to be ovalized and finally we got it down. Now, the liner and adaptor won't line up with the stove collar. I'm not sure what to use here. It is about a 45 angle. It appears both of these would work. Is there a benefit to either one? Or is there something else I am missing?

http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/store/61/product/6-in-Adjustable-offset-insert-Adaptor.html

http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/st...ainless-Steel-Insert-Boot-for-Flex-Liner.html

Also need to order an extended trim kit...There is about 2 inches that the Mead surround doesn't cover on top. Are these tricky or pretty straight forward?

I'll post pics when finished. Nice looking insert though. My mom is happy.

Thanks.

I returned my extension kit. After installation I didn't feel like it was necessary. It does not have a functional purpose and due to the high cost I thought I would pocket the cash!

Status
Not open for further replies.