Mooderators, Value Added!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

becasunshine

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 10, 2009
Coastal Virginia
I am just now noticing that BeGreen is listed as a "Mooderator" on the splash page.

DOES THIS MEAN THAT WE ALL GET FREE ICE CREAM WHEN BEGREEN IS "MOODERATING?"

(Asking for a friend...)

:)

Last edited:
No ice cream, but on occasion I have handed out these to folks in need. Usually after a serious back puff or overfire.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003DM3MN4/?tag=hearthamazon-20

And if you're extra nice...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072L38SGT/?tag=hearthamazon-20

I could have used *both* a few years ago, not with the wood stove but (believe it or not) with the pellet stove.

Let me see if I can reconstruct what happened- it's been a few years-

I'd cleaned the fire box, vacuumed off the heat exchange tubes and the baffles, vacuumed the little bit of cool ash out of the ash bin with the ash vacuum. I re-started the stove.

The burn pot filled with pellets, and the pellets at the bottom of the pot lit, but the pot was almost full by this point. The igniter was fine, just that variable in how long it takes any given burn pot of pellets (brand of pellets, etc.) to light on any given cycle.

Before the pot could fully catch fire, a clog developed in the auger. It totally jammed up. The auger stopped feeding, the pellets stopped dropping, and the stove shut down. No combustion fan to pull air through the burn pot or to pull smoke out of the fire box and out the vent. (I'm a little fuzzy on this sequence... I don't know what came first, the end of the ignition cycle or the clog. At any rate, the stove shut down.)

BUT- the pellets in the pot were actually lit and smoldering. And smoldering. And smoldering. The fire box filled up with smoke, and then smoke started spilling out of other places in the stove. I could not see what was happening in the stove. There had to be some combustion because there was smoke, but I couldn't see it.

And then I saw the creosote running down the inside of the stove glass. Now that was upsetting- because I couldn't think through the problem fast enough to figure out what to do next, because I didn't understand what was happening in the first place.

So now I have smoke rolling into the house, and creosote in the fire box, which caused VALUE ADDED! the smoke rolling out of the stove to smell like smoky creosote!

It seemed like it took me about five years of staring at the stove to get here, but after a few moments of CREOSOTE SMOKE it occurred to me to TURN THE STOVE BACK ON.

Turning the stove back on put the combustion fan back online, which instantly lit the remaining pellets in the burn pot, and pulled the smoke in the stove out of the house.

Of course, by this point the creosote smell and smoke had rolled out into the house.

It took me *forever* to get the smell out of the house! (But I did...)

Yeah, I could have used all of those "aids" plus a stiff drink!

P.S. Also got the clog out of the auger, got it un-stuck, stove ran fine after that.