1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Moose on the loose

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Got Wood, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Got Wood

Got Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Dutchess Cty, NY
    A young moose has been hanging around our area. Very unusual for around here. This picture was taken from the road. It is attracting a lot of attention!

DSC08480.JPG

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Badfish740

Badfish740 Minister of Fire

3. certified106

certified106 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Athens, Ohio
    That's Awesome! Must be really cool to live in an area like that.
  4. nate379

nate379 Guest

We have one or two that I've been seeing almost everyday in my back yard. It figured out how to get into the duck pen and ate almost 5 gallons of duck feed <> I'm about ready to treat it to some lead poisoning!
    Freeheat likes this.
  5. Badfish740

Badfish740 Minister of Fire

You must see a lot up where you are. Though moose are nearly established enough to begin re-instituting a hunting season for them in far northern NY they are an exceedingly rare sight where Got Wood is. When is moose season in Alaska? In Maine it varies by district from late September to late November.
  6. nate379

nate379 Guest

Depends on what zone. Some are year round while others are lottery.

7. Got Wood

Got Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Dutchess Cty, NY
    Update on the Moose. The authorities decided the moose was venturing to close to busy roads (grazing about 3 foot off a main road) and given that there is not a moose population here it was decided to tranquilize it and bring it to the Adirondecks.
  8. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    That's too bad. I'd rather have certain neighbors tranq'd and moved than a moose.
    gbreda, Ncountry, Eatonpcat and 3 others like this.
  9. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Tell me where the sign up sheet is! ::-)
    gbreda and Eatonpcat like this.
  10. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    I see fresh tracks at the end of my street everyday now. Usually a mom and calf but havent seen them yet (they usually are around right at dawn).
  11. gbreda

gbreda Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lakes Region, NH
    Moose are common in this area. Havnt seen one in a few years, but its common to see tracks. Last one I saw was 2 summers ago when I was biking a long dirt road through the woods. Moose was crossing. He/she stopped, I stopped..looked at each other for a few minutes and he moved on into the woods. Leave them be, keep your distance and your generally ok. Love living in the woods !
    jtakeman likes this.
  12. ChipTam

ChipTam Burning Hunk

Loc:
    SE Michigan and Trinity, Newfoundland
    Here's a moose report from my summer home: Newfoundland. Moose are not native to Newfoundland but were introduced in the late 19th century for additional hunting options. Over the years, they've thrived and can now be found everywhere on the island in significant numbers. There are many moose-car collisions each year and a high percentage of those collisions involve human as well as moose fatalities. Like in Alaska, there is a lottery for hunting licenses and, depending on where you are on the island, you can expect to get one every three years or every year. Often, 2-3 guys will go in together. Whoever gets the license and kills the moose that year will split the meat (sometimes 800 pounds) with his buddies. The season lasts about three months. With a license, your chances of getting a moose are pretty good. I agree with those who say that moose are a lovely sight to see........ but only from a distance and not on the highway.