more appliances than flues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CJKnNH

Jan 20, 2009
Lyme NH
I have a chimney located in the center of a 1 story home with a finished basement. The chimney is about 15 feet from any outer wall. 2 flues run up it. One flue is dedicated to a gas heater in the basement. The other flue is is dedicated to a wood stove on the first floor. I want to add a pellet stove in the basement. If I add a stainless steel liner to the wood stove and also run a liner from the pellet stove up the same flue and seal of with a chimney cap what would be the issue?
Any ideas otherwise would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if they'd fit? How big are these flues??

While technically cramming 2 liners into your single flue may be possible, I cannot faithfully comment on the code-legality / ramifications. I wouldn't WANT to do it, myself - but you've definitely come to the right place to find out more.

But one thing to think about: Perhaps you could swap out the gas heater w/ a modern high-efficiency direct-vent unit that exhausts using 2" PVC directly out the basement sidewall? That would free up the basement flue to your future pellet stove. It's not cheap, but it's a heckuva lot more legal, and would reduce your recurring costs w/ the gas.

Hah! I just asked almost this same ??? Sorry for the redundancies! I think you and I are in the same place right now. Only I want to add a wood stove, not pellet. So my requirements will be harsher.

I don't know a lot about the pellet stoves but I thought they just vented thru the wall, no chimney required.

I would check with your local code enforcement/fire code enforcement officials and/or insurance company to see if your proposed set up would work. I will say unlike many folks you're definitely doing the right thing by checking here first and asking questions to keep things safe and legal.

Some alternatives (already mentioned) would be to go with a direct vent system for the gas heater and/or run the pellet stove vent up and out . . . I've seen folks go with both of these options. Of the two options I would think running the pellet stove vent up and then out would be cheaper (and you would benefit from the heat coming off the vent in the basement).

Moved to the pellet forum. I'd vent the pellet stove directly out the wall with at least a 5' vertical rise if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.