More Ash Than I Remembered

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bdaoust

Nov 28, 2012
Western, MA
Last year (a year ago tomorrow actually), I bought a 1,200 sqft Cape that had a P68 in the basement.

The previous owner left me a few bags of CleanFire Pacific that he got from woodpellets.com.

I remember the ash after a bag was very fine - almost like a fine gray powder.

Since I couldn't get the softwoods that year, I just burned local stuff mostly hardwoods and the ash was more of a black and a lot more coarse looking. I figured it was a difference in the pellet.

I know have three tons of the CleanFire Pacifics and the ash still seems to be pretty black, heavy and even has a gritty texture to it. Almost as if the pellet is not completely burning down.

I haven't made any changes to the house and having an energy audit done in December.

Granted the CleanFire's might different this year, but it seems like every pellet I burn has heavy black ash especially during a maintenance burn. It builds up to the point where it forms a little ash dam on the edge of the burnpot and doesn't fall over as easily.

Running the stove mostly in room temp mode - temp at 65-70, feed rate at 3 or 4 (tried both)

Maybe I should do a gasket test although the door gasket looks in good condition.

Thanks,

Sounds kind of normal. Especially when doing low burns during shoulder season, it wouldn't be uncommon for me to brush off the ash dam from the burnpot daily. It's been that way since the stove was new.

How is the flame height? Any other symptoms of an incomplete burn? If it's just the ash color and an ash dam forming, I think it's pretty normal.

Have you given the stove a good, thorough cleaning?

Ya I clean the stove at least once a week - good vac - the pipe, etc. And scrape burnpot several times a day.

The flame height depends if the sensor is asking for more heat or not. If it's in maintenance burn, the flame is lower and leans in a bit. Sometimes the flame looks more like a little ball of flames.

I've noticed that as I get older, my memory isn't as good, too ............

Reactions: bdaoust
May just be the pellets. Years ago, Walmart used to sell Eureka and Future Fuel (both made by Eureka in MT). Those are the only pellets I've burned that had powdery, almost nonexistent, ash. Hands down best pellet I've burned. Nothing has come close since. Currently burning Orford and Spruce Pointe softies and while they're low ash, they're NOTHING like the Eurekas were. Best smelling, too.

IMO, it's prob just the pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.