More bird trouble (photos attached)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bokehman

Feeling the Heat
Nov 25, 2007
Spain
Well the birds came back to their "missing nest" (see my other thread about that here) and promptly fell down the chimney. There were two but I only managed to get a picture of one. Anyway they couldn't get back up so I had to let them out into the room.

Attachments

• bird1.jpg
    bird1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 908
  • bird2.jpg
    bird2.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 943
Thank you for saving the bird.

firebird ?

house sparrow?

What kind of chimney cap do you have on top... unless it's a mushroom cap it shouldn't allow birds in.. even the p'd off ones..

That is a House Sparrow trying to get inside and live up to his name.

Now for a bit of fun....add one cat.

Probably glad it wasn't a stork, eh ?

See if you can add some chicken wire to that cap to get rid of the critters.

A friend of mine who always swore that no cap is the best cap, once ended up with a squirrel in his stove. This happened between burns, so the stove was full of ash and cold coals. They tried for a day to get the squirrel to climb back out and up the chimney, to no avail. Then, they tried to catch the squirrel in a sack as they opened the stove door, but it got out. Then, they chased a soot-covered squirrel around their house for a while until they finally got it to go out the door.

Must have been exciting. Must have been lots of little tiny black paw (and whatever else) prints all over everything, too.

These days, he runs with a cap.

Is that a "cat" stove?

Peace,
- Sequoia

Oh, good. I thought this would be a dead bird thing and make me sad. Out where I work (old closed up fireplaces in the building) we had baby chimney swifts dropping in down around the block off boards. Boy are they loud, ugly babies. SOmething was wrong with the plan cause they definitely ended up where they ought not to be. I took them to a local vet who will occasionally accept wildlife. There are chimney swift websites where they beg you not to cap your chimneys so that these birds won't die out! But you know, they might die, too,?

heatwise said:
firebird ?

It'd be ironic if the "firebird" flew into your Phoenix :snake:

I hear that they taste just like chicken.

BrotherBart said:
I hear that they taste just like chicken.

Wrap one in foil, it would look just like a baked potato! :p Ok, that was tasteless....

bokehman said:
Well the birds came back to their "missing nest" (see my other thread about that here) and promptly fell down the chimney. There were two but I only managed to get a picture of one. Anyway they couldn't get back up so I had to let them out into the room.

I had the same thing happen. The ceiling is covered with soot marks, but I got him out and he flew away.

if you would just stop burning them dang birdseed logs from the grocery store, this would stop happening!

Thats what screens are for.

Cute pic of what looks like to be one peeved bird. Glad that all ended well.

Best line in this whole thread in my opinion . . . Billb and the stork comment. :)

lol, i may sound cold but i would have got rid of that bird. there the number one killer of eastern blue birds

sparrows are nasty little rats with wings.

.............i woulden't say all sparrows . but the europeeeeeeeein sparrow is unprotected for a reason . no different that emerald ash borer.

Status
Not open for further replies.