More boiler / storage analysis - where does the heat go?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nofossil

Moderator Emeritus
I wanted to see what happens with my heating system over the course of a 24-hour day - how much heat is produced, how much is used, how much goes into and out of storage, and so on. I modified my efficiency spreadsheet, and here's a first pass.

Not a lot of surprises, but interesting (to me at least).

During the 24 hour period in the graph, the house used a bit over 355k btu. 86% went to space heating, 13% to the hot tub, and 1% to DHW.

During that same period, I had a short fire (just over 4 hours of actual burn) that produced 269k btu (about 67k btu per hour).

The difference between what I used and what I produced came out of storage. The heat in storage was 102k btu less at the end of the 24 hour period.

This is not a perfect analysis. I have no way to actually measure the heat transferred to the living space from the baseboards. I use an equation that takes into account the water temperature, but it's never exact. Also, I only have three storage tank temp sensors, so I can't measure storage energy precisely. Finally, I have no way to measure storage energy that goes into preheating DHW.

In this case, there was a 15.7k btu discrepancy over the 24 hour period. It's not all measurement error - certainly some of it is DHW preheat.

Attachments

• Untitled.gif
    Untitled.gif
    55.9 KB · Views: 306
Wow - neat! It's interesting to see where all the heat goes. Reminds me of my own project I need to kick off...basically the same thing, but with electricity. Electric bill says I use an average of nearly 40 kWh per day and that just seems astronomical to me, especially considering no one is home 8 hours/day....and I haven't even been welding that much or running the Tesla Coil!

Status
Not open for further replies.