More Cherry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This Cherry was damaged about two years ago, time I get the limb. Any thoughts about if I should take the whole tree.

Attachments

• 100_6822.JPG
    100_6822.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 147
What's the diameter of that,zap? 14" or bigger might be a candidate for a couple 2" -3" planks.

I'd leave it considering you have lots of other down trees from what I can remember.

Reactions: zap
I'd leave it considering you have lots of other down trees from what I can remember.
The only thing I worry about is it rotting where the limb came off, it's close to the main trail.

Looks like some awesome stuff to me.....suppose it does make a difference how bad you need it. One thing I always try and think about is waiting too long to get them and letting it get punky, now that's a real shame!

The only thing I worry about is it rotting where the limb came off, it's close to the main trail.

LMAO I just noticed your sig after my post....maybe great minds do think alike ?....

Might as well take the whole tree while your there.

Hard to tell from the picture Zap. But I am confident that you will do what's best.
Yeah, if the top is still pretty healthy, I might let it go and see what happens...

It would be even with the ground if I were working that spot.

Reactions: ScotO
I just noticed this morning a Cherry that lost it's limb in 2008, not any rot yet so I'll check this tree again, if it's good the main will stay.

zap, knowing how thick your woods is, I'd cut the whole tree down. Besides, when limbs do that they are open for invasion of many bugs. Cut it.

zap, knowing how thick your woods is, I'd cut the whole tree down. Besides, when limbs do that they are open for invasion of many bugs. Cut it.
Will do, we have a bunch of bigtooth aspens that are in that area we need to take down too, they will make for some nice shoulder season wood.

The area directly across from the Cherry needs thinning bad, nice to have you back. It rained most of the day yesterday (what a mess) then changed to snow at 4:00 pm, makes the White Pine look nice, the deer also found the trees I limbed up last weekend.

Attachments

• 100_6848.JPG
    100_6848.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_6847.JPG
    100_6847.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 141
Funny zap, we got 7" of extremely heavy wet snow yesterday. Naturally I had to do some plowing before heading to the hospital. I was thinking that probably by night we'd lose at least half of that snow just due to packing and also a little melting. I think we lost over half. But the funny part is by the time I got to the hospital I could hardly believe how little snow they got! 20 miles can make a big difference. So this morning I don't think we have much over 3" left in most spots and most has fallen from the trees. Not all, but most. Looks like a cold spell coming at us again too.

I think we received about 3 inches of snow (wet & heavy) I spent about 2 hours clearing slush off the driveway (with the rhino) before it started snowing, more plowing later on today.

I had a guy ask me how much snow we received (this was 2 years ago) where we lived, I told him 3 inches, he has a hunting camp 10 miles south of us, so when he drove to hunting camp he never put the plow on his truck, when he made it to hunting camp they had 2 feet of snow...never made it in!

That's funny zap. ;lol

Will do, we have a bunch of bigtooth aspens that are in that area we need to take down too, they will make for some nice shoulder season wood.

The area directly across from the Cherry needs thinning bad, nice to have you back. It rained most of the day yesterday (what a mess) then changed to snow at 4:00 pm, makes the White Pine look nice, the deer also found the trees I limbed up last weekend.

I love the pines when they get like that. Have 2 huge ones behind the house but even prettier when you have a nice stand of them together.

I'd be dropping that tree, Zap. Take the tops for firewood, let the log lay there for spring and make some lumber out of that. sounds like a good reason to fire up the 075 or 090 with the mill IMO.....

I'd be dropping that tree, Zap. Take the tops for firewood, let the log lay there for spring and make some lumber out of that. sounds like a good reason to fire up the 075 or 090 with the mill IMO.....
The 075 is nice, that 090 is nasty!

This is the Cherry I'll get some boards or planks from, the widow maker is down in a area I can get it with a pole saw, safely. The trunk is good size, 075 material.

Attachments

• 100_4818.JPG
    100_4818.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 131
Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
This is the Cherry I'll get some boards or planks from, the widow maker is down in a area I can get it with a pole saw, safely. The trunk is good size, 075 material.
I expect a full photo documentary and review of the job when it commences....
Not to mention a little 'dance' at the end of said job........:p

I expect a full photo documentary and review of the job when it commences....
Not to mention a little 'dance' at the end of said job........:p
Would you be expecting him to dance a jig,twist or a little moon walk Scotty ?

Status
Not open for further replies.