1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

More CL fuzzy cord math

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by gzecc, Dec 27, 2012.

1. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. KaptJaq

KaptJaq Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    If it is a standard 40"x48" pallet and it is stacked from edge to edge and straight up it would have to be just over 6 feet high to hold 5/8 cord.
    If it is a 48" x48" pallet it would be 5' high.

A cord is 128 cf, 5/8 cord is 80 cf.

40 x 48 is 13.3 cf per each 1 foot of height...
    48 x 48 is 16 cf per each foot of height

You get the picture...

KaptJaq
  3. WhitePine

WhitePine Feeling the Heat

Cord = 4x4x8, so if the pallet is 4x4 and the wood is stacked tightly over the entire pallet area and is 5 foot high, which it appears to be, it's 5/8 of a cord.
  4. swagler85

swagler85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Yes if they are stacking 16" splits with 3 rows and each is 4'x5' then yes that is exactly 5/8 of a cord. Looks like it could be close to that. That would be one very heavy skid. With my MF 135 and forks on the back I can only lift 1/3 cord of green oak.
  5. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    Being its cross stacked and doesn't look that tall to me, I bet its closer to 1/2 cord and 1500lbs.
    Jon1270 likes this.
  6. KaptJaq

KaptJaq Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    But this is CL and they say it is "Seasoned Premium Grade Firewood" & "The wood is all Hardwood and Aged perfect." & "Ready to burn." so I know it will weigh much less than green oak. ;)

KaptJaq
    swagler85 and will711 like this.
  7. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    And I got a couple of bridges for sale in NY you can make a lot of $$$ collecting tolls,;lol Hurry they won't last long!
    swagler85 and KaptJaq like this.
  8. Jon1270

Jon1270 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Agreed. Cross-stacking is necessary on pallets, for the sake of stability, but also increases the volume. 128CF of cross-stacked wood is not legally a cord.
  9. Boom Stick

Boom Stick Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Capital Region, NY
    I stack all my wood in the same manner as the CL add. I would say a well stacked pallet could be 5/8 but really more like 1/2 cord. However, being stacked and delivered like that at least you know what you are getting or very close to it. All you need is a tape and some simple math. It is not like he is going to dump a pile in your driveway and split with your money only for you to find out your load is 30% less than stated. Also, he will put it where you want it to go, could set it down on blocks and leave it for next year. If I were buying wood, I would seriously consider this seller.....Although I would try to buy bulk and get a better deal. The way he has his wood stacked and delivered will eliminate hours of work for you.
  10. swagler85

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    From what it sounds like though he isn't unloading with a fork lift. I would guess it shows up like that and he would dump it. Stated in the add they will load with a fork lift. Those don't go off a driveway at all and are a PIA to haul. Unless he has a piggy back lift like lumber delivery companies but that wouldn't be economical for him unless he already had it.
  11. WhitePine

WhitePine Feeling the Heat

He is delivering it on the pallet.

From the ad: "The Firewood is stacked and delivered on Pallets, Placed where you want it with a forklift."
  12. XJma

XJma Member

Loc:
    MA
    For what you're getting and where you are I'd say it's not the worst deal on CL. The fact that they deliver on a pallet like that is huge, IMO.
  13. swagler85

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    thats pretty cool then if he will put it where you want it. Save a lot of time
  14. Kenster

Kenster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Texas- West of Houston
    Maybe you could just ask him the actual dimensions before you buy. Save a lot of guess work.