More confused now than before

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Butcher

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2011
N. central Ia.
Got my IR gun this weekend and put it to work right away. Found that 2 of my rutland thermometers were pretty well dead on as far as temps. What I am finding though is that the left front of the stovetop is always around 75° cooler than the right side. I checked the insulation and it is laying up there as it should be. I also found the very center of the stovetop will run 125° hotter than the right front corner. I'm assuming this is normal from the heat being sucked toward the flue collar?
Right now I am using the hot corner as an indicator to when I start shutting down the air as it seems to coinside with flue temps getting to where I want them. If I went with the cooler corner my flue temps would be well into the over burn spectrum.
Am I on the right track? Suggestions? Thanks.

Sounds like it, different stoves have the hot spots in various places and I think you found yours. My temp sensors read low it the mid range and high in the upper temps but still a good reference, glad to have the IR testor and it sounds like you are too.

I found the temps in the four corners of this stove varied quite a bit . . . I ended up going with the right rear corner as it was consistently hotter . . . my theory is that ash tends to get pushed up and built up on the right side so the wood sits up higher than on the left side.

So yeah . . . you're doing what I have done pretty much . . . putting the thermo on the hottest corner . . . and I think you're right about the oval plate being hotter due to the path of the exhaust gas.

Thanks guys. I was sure surprized to see that oval plate in the middle bumpin up to 725°. No wonder I gotta refill the cast iron teapot so often.

Butcher said:
Thanks guys. I was sure surprized to see that oval plate in the middle bumpin up to 725°. No wonder I gotta refill the cast iron teapot so often.

If you have a trivet you may not have to fill it quite so often.

Sounds completely normal to me. I see the same variations around my stove. I have settled on the right rear for my thermo.

Remkel said:
Sounds completely normal to me. I see the same variations around my stove. I have settled on the right rear for my thermo.

That is where I have mine located. As a newbee, I'm glad Jotul has a diagram in the manual showing where to take the readings. If I had put it dead center I probably would have been real nervous abut high temps. The center plate gets well over 100 degrees hotter than the corners do!

Status
Not open for further replies.