More free wood - Help with tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Demetrius

Sep 16, 2013
SE PA
Hello, new to the hearth.com and wood hoarder family. I was forwarded these pictures of a load of free wood that I'm going to pick up if it's not rotten.

What kind of wood am I dealing with here? Thanks much...
2013091595163822.jpg2013091595163828.jpg

Reactions: milleo
A long distant guess at it being oak. A closer pic would sure help the ID. If you do get it, also split one open for the masses. We will be able to at least narrow it down to two or three.;lol

Hey Pat, welcome to the Hearth.
FWIW, the leaves in the foreground are oak, but that may be circumstantial.
If it's free, I'd take it (unless you have enough stockpiled that you can afford to be picky). If it is free oak, I'd run to get it.

Thanks for the quick replies. Once I get some, I'll split'er and attach a photo - I'm told it's about 5 years old, shouldn't be a problem I suppose?

Also, I just split two types of free wood this weekend and am wondering what it is. I'll attach some photos later today.

Hello, I cut this tree up that was laying in my neighbor's yard for a year. Nice and dry - what do we think it is?

20130916_172825.jpg 20130916_172853.jpg

The following wood is green that I just split - any thoughts?

20130916_172902.jpg 20130916_172916.jpg

The stuff in your first post looks like it will be outstanding and I bet a couple months split and it will be ready to burn.

On your last post no idea on the first pic, but the bottom set looks like cherry.

I see walnut in the stacks mainly along the bottom.
Second picture looks like oak on one cherry on the other.
Welcome to the forum. It's fun. You're in my area Pat.

Also has the look of locust to me, but my specie ID skills are not top notch

Cherry , a fine firewood to burn pat good score .. ! and welcome to the forum ;)

First pic doesn't look rotten, just old, some of the smaller stuff should be ready to burn
Second pic IDK
Third pic some nice cherry

I don't know what the first two woods are, but the third is Honey Locust, not Cherry. That is good news because Honey Locust is primo wood.

The last two pics in post 5 look like cherry to me

I would grab the wood in the first pics. It looks ready to go and it kinda looks like oak. If you get keep the bottom layer on ghe ground seperate from the rest. That might need longer drying time.
It all looks like great firewood.
The bottom pics look like red oak to me. But Im on a cell phone looking at 2" pics.

Thanks everyone, I guess it doesn't matter a whole lot since I'll be burning it anyway. Just trying to educate myself on what type of wood my burner likes best.

Good stuff

In the second set of pics, it all looks like cherry to me. The older stuff looks like the sapwood has mostly rotted off, leaving only the reddish heartwood. The bark on the fresh green stuff does look a lot like honey locust, but I think that's just a coincidence of the tree's age, transitioning from the smooth bark of youth to the scaliness of maturity. The pics are mostly overexposed and the white balance is off, so it's hard to be certain about any of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.