More free wood in my back yard...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
They've been building the house on the empty lot in my back yard, which is enormously disappointing... but at least I'm getting some free heat out of the deal . So far, they've cleared 2 acres of dense woods.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388280641.829398.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388280658.395278.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388280673.363307.jpg

Sorry to hear of it but at least your making the best of it...

Some nice big stuff. What type(s) are you getting?

This load was just silver maple and cedar, but I've taken ash and walnut from the lot on other days. The cedar is being split real small for kindling.

This load was just silver maple and cedar, but I've taken ash and walnut from the lot on other days. The cedar is being split real small for kindling.
If you have enough you might want save a couple decent sized cedar splits for the shoulder season. Worked good for that and can always be respilt later if you need more kindling.

2 Acres? Must be a few years worth of wood, you should be a good amount ahead after this.

heh... I didn't get the full 2 acres of wood! Much of that was cleared by the prior owner, and he only gave me about 10 full trunks of mixed hardwoods Maybe half a year's worth, at my burn rate. All of the Walnut went off to the sawmill via logging truck, and all of the cedar went into the chipper. They had offered me the cedar, but I already had (at the time) more of it than I knew what to do with. If I recall, they took 48 or 50 tandem-axle dump truck loads of cedar chips out of here over the course of two or three days, and still left a mountain of cedar chips on the lot half the size of a house.

In hind sight, I guess I should've kept more of the cedar, which was cut summer 2012. It's basically garbage for burning, but it would've been dryer today than the 1 year CSS'd walnut I'm trying to burn right now!

Last edited:
Two stoves does eat up the wood. Nice JD Joful.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.