More heat from the flue pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

awoodman

Dec 4, 2008
K.C. Missouri
I came across these heat exchanger ideas.............The up draft type and the down draft type.

Attachments

• designing-heating-stoves[1]_19_0001.jpg
    designing-heating-stoves[1]_19_0001.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 253
  • designing-heating-stoves[1]_20_0001.jpg
    designing-heating-stoves[1]_20_0001.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 269
I wouldn't want to ruin the looks of my stove with one of those creosote factories.

Robbing heat from a flu (now a flew) is one of the worst things you can do. The heat is needed for proper draft. And like Todd stated, I'd hate to ruin the looks of a good stove with one of those.

Many people made double barrel stoves (one barrel on top of the other) that worked on the same principle. Northern Tool used to sell a kit to make a double barrel stove, maybe they still do. I don't think I would try to heat the house with one, but I had a homemade single barrel stove in a pole building.

FWIW, the second pic is roughly what a Rocket Mass Heater stove uses. Except it doesn't use a metal woodstove underneath, it uses a masonry firebox to the side with unlimited air supply (ala masonry heater) and the flue exit passes through a thermal mass of some kind. With a metal woodstove where firebox temps need to be kept under control via air restriction, both of these ideas are stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.