More heat from wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fparker187

Dec 27, 2013
pennsylvania
I have used your site to help get information to install a fire place wood insert. Happy to say, there was a lot of very useful info to be had. I installed an Englander (yes, I know a cheapy - but this was the only way I could do it at the time) Did the install last January with a SS liner. Love it, saves me a bundle on oil!
My question (without searching for hours on the site) is - Is there any value to adding a blower to capture the heat from around the insert in the fireplace cavity? It pains me to loose this heat but I am concerned that if I were to add a blower to circulate air around the insert and back into the room I may lower the temperature of the flue too much creating a draft problem.

Welcome. Englander makes good stoves, no need to apologize. I wouldn't add a blower for this purpose, but as a test try running the insert with the surround removed.

Is there a block off plate installed below the damper? If not, that will help retain heat and warm up the insert, especially if this is an exterior chimney. You could also attach some kaowool blanket to the rear and sides of the fireplace if there's room.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/why-damper-seal-is-needed/

Welcome. Englander makes good stoves, no need to apologize. I wouldn't add a blower for this purpose.

Is there a block off plate installed below the damper? If not, that will help, especially if this is an exterior chimney. You could also attach some kaowool blanket to the rear of the fireplace if there's room.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/why-damper-seal-is-needed/
I removed the damper and replaced with a piece of aluminum plate. I also put insulation above the plate and filled all the nooks and crannies. As i said, I just hate to lose the heat if there is an efficient way to capture it.

Color me confused. How old is this insert? The 13-NCI has always come with a front mounted blower standard as far as I know.

BB, I think he's trying to reclaim heat from the fireplace cavity itself.

fparker, sounds good. Some folks like to run their inserts without the surround, like a freestanding stove in the fireplace.

Color me confused. How old is this insert? The 13-NCI has always come with a front mounted blower standard as far as I know.

I think he's talking about another fan to blow around the insert...not the installed blower. (I think) :rolleyes:

Nevermind. ;em Pull the surround and get an idea of how much heat is left behind in the fireplace with the blower running. I think you will find it isn't a lot.

Reactions: fossil
Status
Not open for further replies.