More Heat & Longer Burn Times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Finksies

Oct 26, 2013
New Hampshire
First post, been burning for one year now. Last year I heated my 1000 square foot (24x40) ranch exclusively with wood. Purchased a Jotul F400 Castine.Installed a chimney liner and short legs. Also put a plate above the stove with insulation with hopes to not loose heat up the chimney. Was a great stove, but was looking for something with bit more burn time and more girth so when there are only coals it still is putting out heat. This year I decided to go with the larger F500 stove, and completely block off my fireplace so there would be no heat loss up the chimney.

Below was my setup last year. Oh yea, My house was a major fixer upper.
6QVnnrAl.jpg

wABjr7ol.jpg

First I needed to extend my hearth. Cut my existing wood floors, and trimmed it off with oak boards. Bisquet and finish nails hold the trim in place. I reinforced underneath, and bridged the gap from the old heath to the floor joists with 1/4" hardy board. Tap cons for the cement and deck screws for the wood. I wanted my stove to have a top exit so blasted a hole through my brick chimney and blocked in a thimble. More hardy board to tie everything together.
pAbQXP7l.jpg

Went with Ceramic Tile, and epoxy grout. Super tough and resistant to staining.
els3FfDl.jpg

I opted for slate stone/tile. Went up nice. Cut about 2 feet off my liner, and stuffed it though the new hole.

nGePMall.jpg

Just need to sand the new rock and paint. Then the new beauty Can go in.

Jotul F500. Satin Stovebright, New bricks, and new glass.
ziI7LL5l.jpg

Nice job so far. Final install should look great.

Looks great, should heat very well too. My dog disappears when I get the fire going, but she's a husky lol.

Looks great, should heat very well too. My dog disappears when I get the fire going, but she's a husky lol.

Wow , that looks great..........original and unique............good job !

awesome! cute doggy!

What kind (brand) of stone did you use on the wall back. Is it stone or veneer or what ? It looks nice.

What's her name...

Looks like a great spot for the stove. You did a great job and the dog loves it too.

Great setup!

You do awesome work....looks good

Nice job from start to finish. The stove and setting look great. Enjoy the warmth now from that beautiful hearth and stove.

That looks awesome. Really like the hearth tile pattern. I've got an F500 too. That should be plenty of stove. Ours does a good job in our 1900sf Cape.

Started the floors Yesterday, got them all sanded last night. This morning I woke up early and stained them. Tonight will be the first coat of poly. Also I few pictures of my stack for good measure.

wsUoR0Jl.jpg

fK1bTXhl.jpg

3cEHTf4l.jpg

O8W2rsEl.jpg

The floor looks great!
On the wood ..it would be better yet to have the rows single..but I understand space maybe a factor.

Nice install.

image.jpg Finished my floors up this weekend, and added two 4" led recessed cans. Will be nice to have some light for early morning reloads. Also built a log holder for the garage, should hold enough wood for

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 214
Finksies,- dramatic, and I mean dramatic improvement!! Damn, that looks good!
Looks like Moto is having a hard time adjusting, but he'll get over it. ;)
Nice cans, they'll help you see all the dust and ash- helps when cleaning.
Great job. JB

Status
Not open for further replies.