More Ironwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Before I loaded up the sugar maple I went to this area that has alot of ironwood down that would be nice to get before winter, attached are some pictures.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1683.jpg
    100_1683.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 424
  • 100_1684.jpg
    100_1684.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 436
  • 100_1687.jpg
    100_1687.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 435
  • 100_1688-1.jpg
    100_1688-1.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 445
  • 100_1689-1.jpg
    100_1689-1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 424
I was in the woods today and found a stand of the stringy muscle type of ironwood. Have you seen any of that up there? I'd never seen it wild before today.

I also got tricked by an immature shagbark hickory with bark looking like a striped maple. I was all excited about finding a big striped maple before the letdown.

Matt

This ironwood has bark like that if you look close, we don't have any hickory on our property but some of the sugar maples bark would make you think it's hickory.

zap

You have the ironwood I'm used to seeing... hophornbeam.

Old maples get incredibly shaggy. I have an old silver maple in my front yard I like to screw with people with when they get in an id kick. I have a few pics of only the branches coming up from the base.

I hate Iding by bark. I do better when I look at the tree. Then I can see tree shape, leaf arrangement and hopefully leaf), buds and then bark.

IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

Hockey guy said:
I have a bunch of ironwood here, good stuff. You'll need to sharpen that chain after cutting. Makes red oak look soft.

How long do you let it season for?

zap

Love that iron wood Zap! I'd grab all I could!

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
Love that iron wood Zap! I'd grab all I could!

Billy

I'm hoping I can get it before the end of October, this weekend I'll be working on some beech and sugar maple that came down in the wind storm. The sugar maple looks real good but the beech I'm not sure, should be able to get some good wood (beech) out of it.

zap

EatenByLimestone said:
I was in the woods today and found a stand of the stringy muscle type of ironwood. Have you seen any of that up there? I'd never seen it wild before today.

I also got tricked by an immature shagbark hickory with bark looking like a striped maple. I was all excited about finding a big striped maple before the letdown.

Matt

Ah the fabled shag-striped mapory . . . or is it the striped shag hickaple? ;) :)

zapny said:
Hockey guy said:
I have a bunch of ironwood here, good stuff. You'll need to sharpen that chain after cutting. Makes red oak look soft.

zap

Zap, we've always thought ironwood seasoned rather quickly. One year should do it nicely.

Backwoods Savage said:
zapny said:
Hockey guy said:

zap

Zap, we've always thought ironwood seasoned rather quickly. One year should do it nicely.

Thanks Sav, looking for one or two face cord for next heating season. (2011-2012)

zap

Hockey guy said:

I remember when I cut my first Ironwood and the sparks started to fly, I thought something was wrong with the chainsaw.

zap

zapny said:
Hockey guy said:

I remember when I cut my first Ironwood and the sparks started to fly, I thought something was wrong with the chainsaw.

I thought rebar was growing in the middle when I tried to cut it for the first time. Thought about renting one of those concrete saws!
zap

Status
Not open for further replies.