More Lopi Leyden Stuff...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had used this site last year to answer a few questions about my stove with good results. I have another question for fellow Lopi Leyden owners.

When scooping out some ashes the other day, i say a piece of metal through the two holes that feed back intothe secondary burn chamber. Im thinking the combustor is falling apart, even though I can still get it to light off. This stove has only been used one winter with about three and a half cords of wood going through it. Has this happened to anyone else?

Also,,, Last year I asked about putting a traditional damper in the pipe above the stove. Well I did it and am pleased with what I can do with it. Its great for the shoulder seasons when getting the stove hot enough for secondary combustion would be overwhelming in the house. It also gets me a couple extra hours on my coal bed when I do close the bypass to run the secondary combustion. If you put one in just play with it a little bit and see what it will do for you.

That doesn't sound good. About how much wood has the stove burned?

It has only burned about three and a half cords last season. Plus maybe a half a cord so far this year.

I have rebuilt the back on one or two of these, and I don't remember any metal pieces back there that could fall out. Are you sure the piece of metal wasn't in your firewood? Did it look like a bracket of some sort or just a flimsy piece of metal?

Well, the new combustor came today. I opened it up to examine where this piece of metal in my stove came from. The combustor doesn't anything like this in it. I haven't removed the firebrick yet due to the cold weather and the wife wants the wood heat. This metal piece looks like 1 1/2" flat bar. I can see it and wiggle it through the two holes in the back of the firebox that leads to the combustion chamber, but its too big to fit through the hole. It didnt come from the firewood. Now I am stumped. I figured when I got the new piece I would be able to identify where this loose piece came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.