more newbe questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shocker

Nov 20, 2011
Edmonton Alberta
ive done a search but couldnt find my answer. On a non pressurized wood boiler system, what is the ideal water temperature which will not kill my pump and not burn up all my wood. I have mine set at 140 but find it seems a little low when it hit -25c this weekend, should i raise the boiler temp?

I would say the "ideal" temperature is going to change based upon what you have for heat emitters and what the outdoor air temperatures are, since that will impact your heat loss.

Do you have a mixing/tempering valve on your supply to the house, or are you sending out 140 degree water all the time? If you have baseboards, thats just about the minimum you can run, but I would certainly want to raise it up for a -25c day. I would say that for the cold days you can go up to 180, but that will depend on what your storage is made of, and if it can take those temps.

Your pumps can handle the heat no problem.

i am running a coil in a furnace, the wood boiler has a capacity of 300 gal and the pump circulates through the coil non stop with no zone valves or mixing valves. I will try bumping up the temp and see if that helps increase the air temp from the coil. On days of -10c the temp works very well, just need to know what i can and cannot do as far as temp goes. thanx for the help

If you can run 140 when its -10, go ahead and bump it up to 150 and see how that treats you. If its still a little bit chilly, go a little more. Keep playing until you are comfy. Your pump will be rated to handle the heat fine, so no worries there.

A good way to not burn up all your wood and provide high temperature water to your system is with a gasification boiler. Lots of info from owners on this forum of the +/- of the various brands based on experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.