more newbie questions - output

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colophoto

Jan 3, 2014
denver
Hi all,
it's been about a month (maybe 8-12 fires) with my Vermont castings Montpelier. I'm burning pine and some scraps of russian olive (when I think no one will hate me for the smell). Overall I'm not sure if I'm still doing things right or not. As a rule I'm not seeing smoke out the stack - just heat waves. Much of my wood doesn't seem to be too terribly seasoned BUT when I warm up pieces in the house, then split them and then measure I'm mostly getting in the 10-12% moisture range - some sound right when hit together many make more of a dull thunk.
I believe the insert is rated for over 1500sq feet. the reality of our layout is that it has an open plan kitchen/dining/living area that totals around 900sq feet. seems like it should be a breeze to heat. I'm not expecting it to get down the hall and into the bedrooms. we've got one drafty door across the room, but mostly we're well insulated (blew in 20" of insulation in the roof myself).
Here's my concern - last night was pretty typical, high 20's outside, minimal wind. I started the fire and had reloaded twice before I felt like the fireplace was really contributing to the heat. it's nice and cozy right in front of it sitting on the floor, but 15 feet away and the room is still pretty chilly. I've never once thought "wow, getting toasty in here, I should scale back"
when I put the IR gun at the door I get 380ish, sometimes after all day we get closer to 450. The blower will usually kick on 3/4 of the way through the first load.
I know I'm burning a lower BTU wood, but I'm curious if it should really be several loads before we get any noticeable warmth? how long does it take you to get a larger room warm? dos my experience seem like it should to you more experienced folks?

thanks for your ideas!
mark

I am learning my self so I can only say what I witnessed, my insert is rated 1200-2000 sf. I heat about 1200-1300 open living room, kitchen, dining room with cathedral ceiling and down the hallway 3 bedrooms from 60 to 72 in the stove Rommel takes me about 1.5-2 hr at 20-25 degrees outside. Hallway stays about the same bedrooms 2-5 degrees cooler. Also I have wood most of it maple which was split and stacked in June so less than it should.

If I go out now town for a weekend and come home to a cold house. It really takes 4+++ hours and really up to a day before everything warms up. Cold floors, counter tops, tables, walls etc, fight that heat back every step by the way.
I'm sure there's more to it, pine vs hard woods, btu output, etc.
That's what I have to contribute, I'm sure others will follow with their .02
Peeps here will point you in the right direction in no time

Good info, thanks. I should point out that our gas furnace is primary heat. Generally the fireplace is starting from a 64 degree room.

Status
Not open for further replies.