More newbie questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Talegas

Burning Hunk
Oct 26, 2016
Metrowest MA
Hi all,

I went through the sticky links on draft problems and such, but all I could see was stove related discussions and mine is about a fireplace.

Yes, a fireplace is not efficient. I get that, but i want to focus on why this is happening to my fireplace.

For some reason, even after warming it up for a couple of hours, if there is anything burning that could eventually smoke located from the center of the fireplace to the front then there is a very high possibility the smoke would leak into the livingroom even if there is fire going on with good heat coming out of it.

If all that is burning is located form the center and back of the fireplace no smoke leakage.

This happens even if the window on the other side of the house is open and you can definitely feel the draft coming into the house from that window.

Is it all about how the flow of air is and turbulence within the fireplace? The reason i ask that is that I watched the fireplace form the side and I could see whirls of smoke sort of locked down up in the front and then eventually just leaking into the living room while a lot of smoke on the back just going straight up the flue.

Thoughts?

First make sure the chimney is clear all the way up and that the tiles are in good shape. Make sure the damper is opening properly.

Some fireplaces are just poorly designed or the chimney is poorly designed/sized or too short. Another issue can be chimney location relative to the house or relative to the local terrain. My BIL had a fireplace that drafted terribly, even though 2 story tall. It got a cold backdraft rolling down the sloped terrain that was very hard to beat.

Tell us more about the fireplace and house location and post some pictures if possible

First make sure the chimney is clear all the way up and that the tiles are in good shape. Make sure the damper is opening properly.
Got it inspected before using it.. so we are all set there. It only needed replacement of the "ash dump door" which I wanted to seal off, but wify said "why would you do that ? even if you don't use it just leave it as designed". Cannot argue that.

Some fireplaces are just poorly designed or the chimney is poorly designed/sized or too short. Another issue can be chimney location relative to the house or relative to the local terrain. My BIL had a fireplace that drafted terribly, even though 2 story tall. It got a cold backdraft rolling down the sloped terrain that was very hard to beat.

sigh, i might have a combination of those. First off, the chimney is not that tall. Might be in the low 20s in terms of feet. i'll measure it for sure.
Secondly, i do live in a hilly area sort of at the bottom of my street. I am by no means the one really at the bottom, but there is plenty of wind going on around here to the back of my house.. although it does not feel that it comes from up the top..more like going up the hill.

third, funny enough if you google "fireplace diagram" and look at all the examples they provide, all of them have the damper on the front and then going back to the "smoke chamber" and then up the flue. Mine is a straight shot up from the back to the top of the chimney (passing by the damper).. i would assume the front of the firebox's ceiling should be sloped to the back to allow for hot air (and thus smoke) to flow back, but it might not be as smooth/sloped as it needs to be?

Tell us more about the fireplace and house location and post some pictures if possible

will do :)

In my old house, this fixed a similar issue: HY-C FSG-BLK-6 Fireplace SmokeGuard, Black Powder Coat, 6-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WQSHK2/?tag=hearthamazon-20

I think some fireplaces are just poorly designed.

I think mine already has that by means of the frame that supports the glass windows it has. I'll provide some measurements of how tall that frame is (from the ceiling down ). Still, it "underflows" that guard and just leaks into the living space. I just had another try tonight and for the past 4-5 hrs no smoke has leaked but mainly because i made sure the logs were on the back of the firebox. There was an instance when some smoke came to the living space after (for crying out loud) i adjusted the fire curtains that hang off the frame. I mean, really.. i think that even if i just walk briskly by the fireplace it will create some air turbulence that would make smoke come out.

Alright, reporting back. Here are the pictures of the fireplace seen from the firebox floor and up.

The chimney seems rather short.. i used a range finder (golf..very accurate in terms of whole yards) and according to it the height is 15-17 feet from the firebox floor up to the rain cap.

Also, related to the "smoke blocker", it is 3 inch so the smoke pile sup and still "underflow" from it.

This is the "smoke guard".. it is 3 inch wide (going up and down) and i measured it from the inside of the firebox.
BCuFeob.jpg

This is the view of the firebox ceiling as if you were looking from the center/back of the firebox floor (see how is a straight shot up the chimney). I had the damper open so you can see the light of the day (there is a rain cap there too):

9FIRf2B.jpg

And this is the same as above, but as if you were sitting and looking up from the center/front of the firebox floor. Take notice of that rubble that was put there to close the gap between the firebox structure and the brick that i think is the front view below my mantle (they also are seen in the picture above).

Bc2CE0q.jpg

let your brain go wild and share thoughts.

Cheers!

Not a big fan of open fireplaces. I would drop a stainless insulated liner down there and install an insert. But that may not match your goals.

Last edited:
Not a bit fan of open fireplaces. I would drop a stainless insulated liner down there and install an insert. But that may not match your goals.
Not the short term goal, no.

I love the ambiance of the open fire, so if i can keep as "show" while heating up the house with a stove i woudl be very happy (because my wife will be VERY happy ;em )

No more ideas then? ..

No more ideas then? ..

your damper it to far to the back there is a flat shelf infront of it and your smoke chamber does not look like a smooth transition. All in all it is just bad fireplace design. Not a whole lot to be done with it. You could try to put in an angle piece of metal from the lintel to the front of the damper frame it may help. And you could try to smooth out the smoke chamber but again it may not help that much.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Status
Not open for further replies.