More oak? :( (yes I am frowning)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bster13

Minister of Fire
Feb 24, 2012
CT
Yep, u read me right, I think I just got delivered more oak from a local landscaper I take deliveries from, from time to time. My neighbor snapped this pic and emailed it to me:

http://i46.tinypic.com/wr53o.jpg

Obviously I can't get closer to the wood at this time to make a better guess, but I am guessing OAK at this time and for a newbie who has only been collecting since November, Oak won't help me come this Fall, not this Fall anyway, haha.

(If this is indeed Oak, I assume it is Red?)

Reactions: Beer Belly
The price is right.!
Good things come with time, so in 3 years you'll have some awesome firewood ;)

Maybe it is time to specify you want no more oak for a year or two?

Perhaps... but first off, are you seasoned guys guessing Oak as well?

Maybe the joke is on me and this one particular guy has been unloading a ton of Oak on me that no one else wants, haha.

But...rumor has it the Oak trees in our area were hit especially hard with the hurricanes last year.

On the other hand, I don't want to jeopardize a regular supply of wood to me. It's free, so beggars cannot be choosers?

Maybe it is time to specify you want no more oak for a year or two?

Well that is a decently high BTU wood as well, but doesn't take the same drying time as Oak, correct?

honey locust for sure

Reactions: chvymn99
Somehow I just cannot feel bad for someone getting to much FREE oak delivered while they are not at home. :)

It does look like honey locust to me as well so maybe you have now got some free, delivered wood that could be ready this fall if you get it CSS'd soon.

Congrats on the score and opportunity

Reactions: Scols
Did anyone mention that you got some Honey Locust? ;lol.... Well you do...

Yeah, my subject heading was just an attention getter. Hard for me to turn away free. U better believe I'm already scheming on how to fit more wood in my stacks in my small side yard. :)

Reactions: chvymn99
What I don't get is the 2nd set of pics looks like Honey locust to me, but what is the first set?

Your first set is definitely Honey Locust, second set ? Id go with some type of Oak, maybe.

Reactions: Shane N and nrford
Well the 2nd set does have the medullary rings...
Your first set is definitely Honey Locust, second set ? Id go with some type of Oak, maybe.

Wow that's a sweet score, so cool they clean it up and drop it off for free! That's what I call a win win regardless of species!

I thought honey locust had the thorns. Maybe that is black locust. I always get them mixed up.
There are thornless varieties of honey locust.

I don't care what your excuse is for complaining about having free locust and oak dropped at your place for free. If you complain again I think we may have to take your wood processing equipment and your wood burning card away. :p

F, haven't even used my wood burning card yet! (BK Princess Insert being installed next week!)

What was most striking was the smell of this stuff, very strong. *shrugs*

If you have room take all the wood you can fit in your yard, in 3 years you'll have your choice of wood to burn, your Princess will burn long and hot with oak and locust, course if you have too much wood Ill gladly take a ride to your house and alleviate your problem, Im right in Mass.

Status
Not open for further replies.