More on our Woodstock trip

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Because some other threads are getting a bit long I decided to start a new one and post some pictures we took.

Here's Tony, his son TJ and Tom checking moisture of some of our wood. This particular piece was cut and split in December 2002. I believe Tony got somewhere around 15%. He can tell you about the splitting but I'll just say, it made him sweat a bit. Petrified wood!

Tony-Tomcheckingmoisture.gif

Here's a look at the firebox door on the Progress. I like the new style latch. You can see the tool one can use hanging on the back of the stove.
Progress-3.gif

Slow1 came up with the idea that perhaps one can use the rear of the stove for cooking rather than sitting pots and pans on the soapstone so we did some checking and found about a 25 degree lower temperature here than on the middle of the soapstone so it should work okay. Of course if one wants a top exhaust, that idea would not work. Btw, for anyone who wants a top exhaust, that is how the stove will be shipped. If anyone wants to change, there are only 2 bolts holding it so it will be easy to change.
Progress-7.gif

Here is the top lid of the Progress. It is 1 1/4" thick and is heavy. You do not need to remove it but if you want to, it simply lifts right off, but don't drop that thing, especially on your toes!
ToplidforProgress.gif

Here is the top lid up so you can see the cat. The cat is simple to remove with a hand on each end it simply pulls out.
Progresscat-1.gif

And there is the cat removed.
Progresscat-2.gif

A side view of the cat and bypass.
Progressbypass.gif

I don't even need to see the pictures to remember that cement-based Dennis wood. Sweating while splitting it is an understatement to say the least. As I have mentioned in some other threads, there is an analysis underway to unravel the mystery, with help by sir Battenkiller.

Pen, what I did was set up an album that was just the Woodstock stuff when I uploaded the pictures but for some odd reason it would not copy into the post. When I moved the pictures to the regular album, then it worked. Who knows why? This is the first time I've run into that problem.

More coming.

In the pictures that Pen posted, I think you all know who most of the folks there were but I don't think Gooserider had been identified. Hearth.com hat and checkered shirt. He was in fairly good spirits that day but he still has a long way to go. At least it is positive that he made the trip and I think he enjoyed the time he was there.

Then there is a picture of the oven in that big rock, followed by pictures of the Fireview exterior and interior.

The sign; we saw this in Ohio and my wife snapped the picture from the car as it was raining at the time.

Wow, that's a long cat! Did anyone ever say what the overfire temp is?

Here's the firebox for the big rock.
Smallfireboxofmonsterstove.jpg

This Fireview was sitting behind the big rock. Sort of looks small there.
Fireviewbymonsterstove.jpg

The ornery one.
Judy.jpg

Lorin explaining the Progress to ciccio and his wife with the ornery one checking it out too.
Lorin-Gina-Tom-Judy.jpg

Gamma, Mr. Gamma and Ray at the motel.
Michelle-George-Ray.jpg

Lorin in the showroom.
Lorin.jpg

This should put the rock into perspective. The Fireview sits behind it.
Monstersoapstone-2.jpg

My apologies for some blurry pictures.

This is Tom Morrissey's lovely lady handing out t-shirts or hats. Notice that Ray is signing up for the drawing; that is how one got the shirt or hat.
RaytalkingwithMeg.jpg

Some have read posts by NH_stovebuilder (I hope I got that right). This is Vaughn and his family.
Vaughnfamily.jpg

We liked the printing on the inside of the door. One couldn't help but notice that the print was half right side up and half upside down. A true sign that the door can be switched.
Progress-4.jpg

Here's Sappy and his lovely wife. Sappy took some valuable time off from his store so he could make a quick stop at Woodstock.
Sappywife.jpg

What a fire!
Progressburning-1.jpg

Zap couldn't make it to the party but we got his picture with him on his Rhino.
ZaponRhino.jpg

We didn't see much for fall colors on our trip but here is one more from Michigan. This was taken near Brimley.
BrimleyMI.jpg

And Michigan's own Big Mack; The Mackinaw Bridge
MackinawBridge.jpg

I'm not sure how to put the youtube video in here but here is a link to one. This is the spot where Tom and I had been talking and some folks walked up behind us. I prompted Tom to go adjust the draft. Watch what happens to the fire.

http://www.youtube.com/user/58Logger

Todd said:
Wow, that's a long cat! Did anyone ever say what the overfire temp is?

Dang it Todd. That was on my list of questions and I forgot to ask.

Nice pics Dennis. Did they have any older stoves in their showroom? It would be kind a neat to see all the different models and compare.

Todd, they always have some older stoves there. I'll have to look to see if I have any pictures of some.

Here are a couple Todd.

Showroom-10.jpg

Showroom-11.jpg

Showroom-16.jpg

Showroom-12.jpg

Dennis

Your pictures are definitely not working. You are keeping us in suspense.

Wow. I previewed them and they worked. Photobucket has a definite problem. I'll try again to see if I can fix it but it appears it will only post from one album and if so, I have to move all pictures into the home album. Dang, it used to work just fine. Maybe time to change from Photobucket.

I'll try again tomorrow to see if it will work. If not, I have to do some changing but no time tonight.

Good pics Dennis. I was surprised to see the big rock's firebox was firebrick lined. Is this correct?

PS: The Mackinaw Bridge shot was gorgeous for the foliage. We just don't get that color out here.

I do like the look of those new Woodstock stoves . . . both The Rock and the PH . . . definitely more of my style when it comes to looks.

BeGreen said:
Good pics Dennis. I was surprised to see the big rock's firebox was firebrick lined. Is this correct?

PS: The Mackinaw Bridge shot was gorgeous for the foliage. We just don't get that color out here.

Thanks BG. Yes, there are firebricks in the stove and extremely easy to change them when needed.

We lost a ton of leaves last night.

PapaDave said:
Dennis, how'd you end up way north in Brimley?
Quite a little drive, eh? Great pics.

It never seems to be too far to go to the UP.

Webmaster said:
We've run into that photobucket problem before - it has to do with you using spaces in the names of your folders and albums. If you use woodstock-trip instead of woodstock trip, it should work.

That might be the problem but it seems odd that some of the pictures I've tried to post have been posted before on this forum. It also seems rather odd that when I moved the pictures to the home folder, they worked without any change in picture names. Strange....

The web site puts in a or something like that for spaces. However, that still does not work. Sorry Todd.

It isn't the picture names. You have a space in that directory name "Woodstock trip".

And that space has been there since the pictures were uploaded and have worked just fine for a year now. Besides, photobucket fills in any spaces so it should still work. I'll have to redo some things and hope for the best.

Well, that did the trick. Now for the rest of the album.... Still weird that it has always worked before.

I was asked about the picture of Goose so here he is in checkered shirt, beard and hearth.com hat.

Atbbq.jpg

BeGreen said:

Lined with soapstone.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.