More pex/pex tools questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Feeling the Heat
May 9, 2008
Rural New England
I need to decide on a pex 'system' and since it seems there are incompatibilities between the various manufacturers, I just want to pick one and stick with it - I just don't want to pick the wrong one.

I am a DIY'er, not a plumber. I don't mind investing in tools, but can't justify the top-of-the-line pex systems for the limited use I will have (i.e. the Viega one would cost $1300 to get a set upto 1").

I looked into the sharkbite system - seems like a neat system since you don't need tools, but all the fittings are very expensive and will add up quickly.

This one, 'HydroPex' looks afforable and the fittings seems pretty inexpensive: http://www.pexsupply.com/categories.asp?cID=560&brandid;=

Anyone recommend or not recommend this particular setup? Anything to look out for or other moderately price systems to consider?

Im also looking for a DIY PEX tool Id like to get one that would work with rings easily available at Homedepot or lowes. Anyone have an opinion on this make

PEXcaliber Multi-Head 1" Kit Pex Crimp Crimping Tool
http://cgi.ebay.com/PEXcaliber-Mult...ryZ53287QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I see them on Ebay all the time, could be gotten reasonably for the occasionally use. I need to hook up a water softener and PEX would be alot easier to work with for the Flush drain connection

~ Phil

As I said in another thread. I had success with the Pocket Crimper that is used with vice grips. I used fittings from Pexsupply with rings and Vanguard (I think that's it) PEX. I was under the assumption that most PEX was compatible with the crimp ring fittings Pexsupply sells, but I could be wrong. I think those tools can be rented or check with a local pro and you may be able to borrow one. Spending a lot of money on these makes little sense if it will only be used a few times. That's my $0.02 on it.

The pocket crimp set which can do 3/8 to 1" cast $65 plus $10 shipping, thats almost as much as the HydroPex at PEX supply, and could possibly get the one on ebay for the same or less...

MrEd said:
I am a DIY'er, not a plumber. I don't mind investing in tools,

projects lead to acquisitions of tools and the experience of knowing how to use them, which leads to ideas for more projects, which leads to a need for more tools --> repeat --> :) we need a virtual 12-step program here on Hearth for things like this for us DIYers

MrEd said:
This one, 'HydroPex' looks afforable and the fittings seems pretty inexpensive: http://www.pexsupply.com/categories.asp?cID=560&brandid;=

Anyone recommend or not recommend this particular setup? Anything to look out for or other moderately price systems to consider?

The Watts system (the one you linked) is the best value in pex tools, in my opinion. It's inexpensive, but it works quite well. Not up to the same standards as the Uponor or Rehau systems, but it's a fraction of the cost. For a hobbyist, it would be hard to beat the Watts system.

Joe

pybyr said:
MrEd said:

projects lead to acquisitions of tools and the experience of knowing how to use them, which leads to ideas for more projects, which leads to a need for more tools --> repeat --> :) we need a virtual 12-step program here on Hearth for things like this for us DIYers

pybyr said:
MrEd said:

I was talking with my girlfriend about this spiral escalating loop of tools and projects, and the need for a 12 step program, and she (with a good natured grin) said that it WAS its own form of 12 step program... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.