More progess pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigcube

Feb 27, 2008
Upstate NY
I finished getting my log load bucked and started the wood shed today. Here's a few pics. The splitting begins when the wood shed is built. They still need to pour the concrete and my Dad and I need to put a roof over it.

Firewood13.jpg

The future woodshed. It will be 24'x8'. Should have 14 rows of wood 8' long, stacked 6-7 feet high.
Woodshed1.jpg

The siding will be torn off the back and replaced with pressure treated T-111. Also plan to have vertical pressure treated runners to stack up against. The shed will have no walls. I was told pressure treated lumber is poisonous to bugs?

Bigcube said:
The siding will be torn off the back and replaced with pressure treated T-111. Also plan to have vertical pressure treated runners to stack up against. The shed will have no walls. I was told pressure treated lumber is poisonous to bugs?
Your on the right track

Bigcube we're in cny and have no bug problems...if you have any bugs just be ruthless with moth crystals before you put up the wood. Nice load of wood so far, I don't think it will fill up your shed though. Not a complaint or slight... just an observation.

"ppc" primeter pest control should be done with or without wood close to the house just dont stack it right on the house 3ft would be fine

The garage is not attached to the house and not heated unless I'm out tinkering with the race car. I'll have to look into pest control but I really haven't seen many bug problems with the wood I've had over the past few years.

When split it should be 7-8 cord. I have about 1 cord split left over from this winter. I think it will be close to filling it. By my calculations 2 rows will be a cord. I'm pretty sure it will fill the shed depending on how high I stack it.

You really shouldnt have anymore problems than you have had in the past with or without the wood if you do notice more activity you can spray it yourself for 10 bucks or less

To a lighter note MAN YOU BEEN BUZY!

Iam getting 1.5 to 2.25 cords a week right now blew two tires last week slowed me down a little

Nice neat piles.
You can come restack mine any time.

(and I have plenty of room to store the excavator for ya))

Now is the time to gather it. Good luck with it.

This the first time I tried to buy a large quantity. It's been fun working with it, but a heck of a lot of work. This should be 2 years supply for me. Next spring I'll get it cut and split by the dump truck load. I won't need nearly as much.

billb3 said:
Nice neat piles.
You can come restack mine any time.

(and I have plenty of room to store the excavator for ya))

LOL not my excavator. I wish it was mine, I wouldn't have had to pull the logs off the pile with my jeep. I had a buddy come in to do the concrete. I'm also putting in a 50'x13' pad to park my truck and trailer on. I didn't have much choice but to move it. Where the tri-axle dumped it was not the most convenient spot. I wanted it out back of the garage but my yard is too soft.

Come on over I will throw a party and your the guest of honor beers on me! (ps bring your Fiskars)

Did a little bit of splitting today, I had to quit after my 3rd blister.

Firewood14.jpg

I really like that Fiskars splitting axe. I think I'll have to get some good gloves to avoid more blisters.

I would suggest using form-fit tight gloves with a velcro wrist strap to keep them in place, not the normal garden variety kind that flop around and have a large wrist opening...

Just a suggestion - they work great for me. ;-)

Bigcube, it is good that you are splitting now rather than waiting for the shed. That stuff won't season much until it is split.

Also, now you can measure a wood pile by how many blisters it causes. lol Welcome to the fold.

Bigcube said:
Did a little bit of splitting today, I had to quit after my 3rd blister.

Firewood14.jpg

I really like that Fiskars splitting axe. I think I'll have to get some good gloves to avoid more blisters.

a picture of all that hard hand split work back dropped with something that pumps that much hydraulic fluid....

He left the keys in it. I was about to fire it up today and see if the teeth on the bucket would split wood :lol: I added more to the pile today and priced splitters. I think I'm going to get one once the roof over the shed is done. This is killing me worse than the cutting. I've done almost 2 rows of the rounds by hand but have been picking out the small ones.

Man you sure made quick work of that load. I was admiring it when you first posted the pics a few weeks ago, then when you started bucking the logs. My friends say that I do not let any dust settle on my projects but you get her done quick.

Thought I was losing my mind. I thought that was all your wood split for a minute. Then realized it was a different angle!

Status
Not open for further replies.