More refinishing -cedar chest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

szmaine

Jul 13, 2009
Mid-Coast Maine
Since we seem to have some refinishing know how over here I'd like some advice on this cedar chest I picked up at a yard sale this summer ($30!).

I am in the process of removing the original finish with Formby's and #0000 steel wool. That is going very well.

Specifically I have a problem on the lid where someone obviously had a plant. There is discoloration but also the grain has opened up. What do you think I can do about that? I did read up on a method that uses Danish oil and multiple wet sanding between coats, fellow claims that the sawdust/oil slurry fills the grain and creates a very smooth finish. But my problem is a little more than grain texture. How would you deal with those cracks?

Alot of the uneven color was just grungy old finish, but the water damaged spot is still lighter. How can I deal with that?
I was considering bleaching the whole top to even out the color...

Also, I am thinking of staining the whole top and the bottom trim including the "rainbow" a darker color, perhaps a walnut stain.
How do you think that will look? Or do you think I will get nice contrast without staining at all.

Any advice and comments appreciated. The only thing I got my mind set about is that I want an oil finish (Tung or Danish), not poly.

Attachments

• 10-2009 006.jpg
    10-2009 006.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 581
  • 10-2009 007.jpg
    10-2009 007.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 497
Its hard to tell but I'd guess that top is actually veneered. It depends upon how its constructed but you may be able to remove that piece of veneer and replace it.

Yes, it is veneered. But I really just want to refinish it as is - it only cost me $30 and I don't need it to be perfect.
But thanks for putting out the idea just the same!

You could always put a plant over it! :)

I don't think you can completely repair the veneer. Cracked wood is cracked wood. I don't think I'd use a slurry in the varnish, I know I'd have the slurry all through the finish on the piece. To get an idea on how it will look after a finish is applied, wipe mineral spirits over it. Maybe the look isn't that bad and a thinned varnish will self level enough to make you happy.

Matt

Fortunantly, you dont have a large sentimental attachment or finacial expense attached to the piece. However you still want a nice piece to look at in the end, and i understand that. I`ve been pleased with Danish finishes,,as you can control the amount of sheen you end up with, by the amount of buffing you do between coats. Some oldtimers should be able to tell you about sealing the cracks,,keep searching. I would be leary using a wet sanding technique, for fear of the water getting under the veneer and causing more to come loose and curl.I`ve enened out coloration with light sanding with good reasults,,however the veneer is very thin and you must be careful,,and what appears to be original stain, could go very deep

The "wet" sanding in the technique is not actually with water but rather sanding with wet sand paper while the oil is still wet. I'm leaning towards giving it a try since if it doesn't work very well I could still try something else later if I don't use poly.
The stain is actually varnish and is coming off nicely with the Formby's.

For those curious, here is the danish oil method I'm considering

http://www.woodworking.com/wwtimes_oilfinish.cfm

A common 'filler' of sorts is sanding dust and wood glue. I would use some of the fine waste sanding dust and some wood glue.

strip finish, light sanding and Tung oil or Boiled Linseed Oil. That's what Id do if it were mine. I'd stay away from the poly's.

edit: to clarify, I think that the sanding will smooth out that imperfection just enough to be filled with the BLO or Tung, so I wouldn't bother getting all detailed with filling the grain up.

Maybe the picture doesn't do it justice, but that doesn't look too bad. The place where that ring is, it hasn't delaminated has it? I had a Buffet that did that and I fixed it as best as I could without replacing the laminate top, there are pictures on my photobucket, but that's blocked from work, here, so I can't post it right now.

No, not de-laminated at all. Ya know, I think I'm just going to go ahead as you say and not sweat the cracks if they are still there - that's what a nice table runner or folded quilt are for.... I think it's gonna look pretty good when it's done!

I'd really like to see your pics if you remember. Sincerely.

I'mposting this from my new phone, so it might take me a second to find the pictures. can only have one window open at a time. be warned though, this thing was in bad shape and it doesn't look a whole lot better in spite of my efforts.

Very nice job! I also really like the little matching end tables.
I agree completely flaws = character!
Thanks for posting those!

Status
Not open for further replies.