More Sandy here too!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I came across this pile a couple nights ago, but couldn't get to it for a couple days.
1219121553.jpg
It was taller when I saw it first. About 60' of Red Oak stacked about 3' high. Quite a bit had been picked by the time I got there, but I still git some good stuff. Unfortunately, most of it is cut at nearly 2' long. I grabbed some shorter ones. I've been fighting off a cold so I ran out of strength before I ran out of room in the truck.:( This is the first wood that I have split since March and boy am I out of practice! After splitting a couple 24" diameter by 20" long rounds into small enough pieces to lift onto the truck I was pooped and my elbow hurt. I'm hoping that I can get back in shape soon. I have a lot of work to do.

Can't go wrong with red oak when it's ready. Rare to find the good stuff sitting along the road. Good score, hope u feel better soon!

I saw a bunch of logs down on Route 100 just before Muskoot Farm in Millwood.....but that was a while back. Grab it while you can.

I saw a bunch of logs down on Route 100 just before Muskoot Farm in Millwood.....but that was a while back. Grab it while you can.

Thanks for the heads up, but I don't have to travel that far. There's more than enough for the next two years within 2 miles of my house!

I'll be headin' down to Cortlandt to visit my brother and Nephews....maybe I should take the truck and leave the car at home;)

Reactions: ScotO
I would, but don't come too close to my place! ;)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Nice score, Flatbed. I hate working when I'm under the weather, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Glad to see you got some of the good stuff. The longer rounds, I'd be cutting them so at least one piece was long enough for the stacks, the smaller cut-offs would get split up and thrown in the uglies bin (the area between my two rows of stacked splits).

Hope you feel better for Christmas, have a good one bud!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
This is the first wood that I have split since March and boy am I out of practice! After splitting a couple 24" diameter by 20" long rounds into small enough pieces to lift onto the truck I was pooped and my elbow hurt. I'm hoping that I can get back in shape soon. I have a lot of work to do.

It gets better as you get older ;)
You get more pooped & more things hurt LOL :)

Nice score.
Take your time & hurry ;)

Ha! Don't believe bogydave! Well, at least that first line.

Hope you feel better really quick Steve. Wrestling the oak doe make the muscles work and you need all your strength.

I had a good hit on some red oak today myself. I've been checking this pile of wood out everyday for the last 2 weeks, as I drive in to work. It falls in to a no mans land of who should have taken it away. The pile falls just on the line of the town road and the entrance to the Merritt parkway. Only have my Subaru to haul with, so this is going to take sometime. Did 2 loads today. Steve get some rest at work this week

Status
Not open for further replies.