More signs of spring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Hummer preening, getting ready for the ladies.

And this is what I woke up to, before coffee. Those wascally wacoons are at it again. Looks like I need to grease the feeder pole.

I love their expressions. "Uh, we were just checking to make sure the seed didn't get wet... Yeah, that's the ticket Rocky, just checkin'."

Attachments

• annas-hummer.jpg
    annas-hummer.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 287
  • racoons_web.jpg
    racoons_web.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 312
Id the hummer or it didn't happen :lol: I think probably an Annas. Wonder if it's migrating through or stopping

Ding, ding! Correct. It's an Annas. They are resident. I feed year round. The Rufous will be showing up in about a month.

I'd have the .22 sitting by the back door. Them hummingbirds are hard to hit though. :)

Nice pictures BeGreen. Are you mowing grass yet? Hey, we also have a sign of spring. It is thundering.....and snowing.

Here is a link to a website that shows the migration of the hummers in the eastern U.S.
Hummingbird migration

I see some have been sighted already in Indiana and Ohio. They usually return here around mid May.

I have my hummingbird feeder out, waiting for the Ruby-Throats, but haven't seen any yet. The migration map (which I check about every day) says some have been sighted in the state, but they didn't stop at my place. I don't usually see one until May. How lucky you are BeGreen to have them all year.

All year hummers comes with a price. It gets a bit stressful in winter when you are getting up before sunrise to thaw out the feeder and watching it by the hour to keep it unfrozen.

Backwoods Savage said:
It is thundering.....and snowing.

We got that yesterday... 2nd thunder-snow of the season. Had to shut the chairlifts down due to lightning.

That surely hurts the skiing! lol

We had some wicked lightning and thunder during the night and the temperature went up. The snow we got yesterday is gone and now, believe it or not, the outdoor temperature is 54! Finally hit 50! Hooray!

This morning when I was leaving for work at 5am....heard the spring peepers for the first time this year....love them peepers

They've woke up here too. I guess the snow and ice doesn't bother them too much.

I heard the birdsong this morning when I went out to get a load of wood for today . . . reminded me of the warmer days ahead. This was right before I lost at the Jenga woodpile game . . . pulled the wrong one and two stacks came down . . . fortunately I can move fast for a fat guy.

firefighterjake said:
. . pulled the wrong one and two stacks came down . . . fortunately I can move fast for a fat guy.

Normally I'd ask the proverbial "pics or video or it didn't happened" but in this case I think I'll skip that request given your own description! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.