more smoke then usual

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bxpellet

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2007
Bronx, NY
I need some advice I will call the dealer later today, I fired up the stove and I notice a excessive amount of smoke coming from the vent. (did this the last few mornings) This is after start up, The set up is a tee up 5' elbow then out 1 ft, 45 then a termination cap. Now in the past when I notice more then usual smoke I would shut the stove down, do a good cleaning and run the brush threw the pipe, I did this yesterday, Last year I was burning HD freedom fuel and NWP and never had this Problem only when the stove was dirty.
This year I pick up 1.5 tons of fuel made by Cubex under a different brand label this is what I was told by the Dealer, It looked good and I compared to the last few bags of Cubex they had in stock, it was very similar. I will compare the smoke out put with the 2 tons I have from NWP pellets as soon as the hopper is empty. Is it possible that these pellets produces more smoke then the other pellets or is there something up with the stove?
any feedback will be appreciated.

The manual for my stove indicates that smoke could be from a couple things (expecially on startup).

1. Too much fule in the burn pot.
2. Unburt pellets or combustionables in the ash pan.

If the smoke continues beyond the startup, maybe the feed rate is too high.

Didn't think of that I did notice the pellets did burn kind of quick.

Sorry I missed this in my last reply, but here is something else that it could be:

Draft too low caused by a gasket leak.

Just read the manual, I think I played around with the air mixture screw last summer before I shut it down, I will give that a try when I get home.

How has the "Advance" been performing for you?

I have the same vent setup as you. Clean-out tee at back of stove, up 5 feet, then out 3 feet, then 45 degree termination elbow w/cap. This will be my first year burning. I was hoping that the setup will allow for good draft up pipe. Can you pretty much "set and forget"?

Love the stove, I keep it on room temp mode I have a open floor plan keeps the 1st floor around 72 when I want more heat I set it higher, I have a new house so it holds in the heat well. had to move the thermostat upstairs because the heat never went on. And the cat loves it

That is good to hear. I love the looks of the stove and I am excited about using it. It is going to be used as supplemental heat so I am hoping to place the temp on a low setting and be able to let the rest up to the stove. I don't have a thermostat yet. I am going to give the room probe a try first.

Thanks for the feedback.

I use the room probe, ran the wire along the base trim behind furniture to the other side about 15' from the stove. I think it works great maintains the temp to within a few degrees, Open the front doors let the cold air in and in about a minute the stove kicks in flame gets higher, until it gets back to temp. you should be very happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.