More snow and cold here!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NextEndeavor

Burning Hunk
Jan 16, 2011
Southern Iowa
For those who enjoy wood heat, old man winter says "How do you like me now!

I would like to see a big pile of snow in South Jersey this winter. I'm talking a big pile! > 20"
Maybe Sunday into Monday==c. Right now my area is bracing for a major ice storm. A quarter to a half inch of ice is possible. I enjoy wood heat and winter but my wood pile has taken a big hit. If this keeps up might have to tap into next years pile.

Looks like we will luck out again this weekend. However, we did get another 4" last night. I'm ready for a thaw.

Reactions: Madcodger
No thaw for while, that's for sure. Seven inches of new snow now on top of 6 from a few days ago. Been quite the unusual winter but we are proudly very comfortable in the house feeding the stove every once in while. Heading for 10 below tonight and we are ready!

We received about 10 to 12 inches today and singling to,freeze over night.

Consecutive storms w/ around 6-8" of super dry snow. Followed with 6" of heavy wet then 4" of icy mix topped off with an inch of slush. Been great. Used my Toro single stage snow thrower on everything this year. This last one was like cleaning up a giant Slurpee spill. That little 2 stroke is a demon though >>.

Sounds like a common theme this season. Southern Iowa is not normally this cold and snowy. Feels more like Minnesota weather here.

I'm glad I worked hard this year to get 3 years up. I don't even blink using firewood now. Its a good feeling.
I hope everybody is ok with their supplies. If not, hope you have good backup. Its a cold one.

It'll be in the teens tonight. I am burning locust and thawing out the hummingbird feeder every 3 hrs.

Iv got a bunch of uglies to burn, so it will take a few more weeks of cold to clean out the junk. Once it gets warm i lose all ambition to burn.

I'm glad I worked hard this year to get 3 years up. I don't even blink using firewood now. Its a good feeling.
I hope everybody is ok with their supplies. If not, hope you have good backup. Its a cold one.
Well bought four cords (first year).
Only about two are good enough to burn, and not by this sites standards. But probably only need two, this thing isn't eating too fast.

Luckily there is a place here that takes the scraps from their 2x4s and pallets them up. That will supplement the BTUs. They even bundle them into firewood size, I'll have to check out how they bundle it. But before all they had was scrap blocks.

If anyone in CO needs to find some cheap burning lumber, they got it. I'll be checking it out tomorrow, so I'll know more then.

We dodged the bullet. Ice on everything this morning but just rain all day. The World Capitol of Red Mud title is safe.

Just North of us 140,000 went dark.

-3* here at 6am single digits the rest of the week.

19 here in Central PA . Single digits overnight for the next 5 out of 6 days. Colder than average. Mid 20s daytime. Good weather to stay inside doing taxes and testing beer brands.

Reactions: Macpolski
Minnesota Temperature Conversion Chart

50 Fahrenheit (10 C)
New Yorkers try to turn on the heat.
Minnesotans plant gardens.

40 Fahrenheit (4.4 C)
Californians shiver uncontrollably
Minnesotans sunbathe.

35 Fahrenheit (1.6 C)
Italian Cars won't start
Minnesotans drive with the windows down.

32 Fahrenheit (0 C)
Distilled water freezes
Minnesotans water gets thicker.

0 Fahrenheit (-17.9 C)
New York City landlords finally turn on the heat.
Minnesotans have the last cookout of the season.

-40 Fahrenheit (-40 C)
Hollywood disintegrates.
Minnesotans rent some videos.

-60 Fahrenheit (-51 C)
Mt. St. Helen's freezes.
Minnesota Girl Scouts sell cookies door-to-door.

-100 Fahrenheit (-73 C)
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole
Minnesotans pull down their earflaps.

-173 Fahrenheit (-114 C)
Ethyl alcohol freezes.
Minnesotans get frustrated when they can't thaw the keg.

-459.4 Fahrenheit (-273 C)
Absolute zero; all atomic motion stops.
Minnesotans start asking, "cold enough for ya?"

-500 Fahrenheit (-295 C)
Hell freezes over.
The Vikings win the Super Bowl

Reactions: Ehouse and webfish
Another Great Lakes map (don't complain...this may be history;))

Bf4ui-DCEAEO2OD.jpg:large

19 here in Central PA . Single digits overnight for the next 5 out of 6 days. Colder than average. Mid 20s daytime. Good weather to stay inside doing taxes and testing beer brands.
What was your conclusion after testing beer brands? :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.