More snow than expected (Helena)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vinny11950

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2010
Eastern Long Island, NY
4 hours on the LIE to travel 60 miles, on what the forecast said 3-6 inches of snow in the morning. By the time I was stuck in traffic, slipping and sliding in blizzard conditions, the forecast had been updated to 8-12 inches of snow. Doh.

Really wish I had gotten the front driveshaft installed on the Jeep to have 4WD. Nevertheless, made it home okay. Wasn't sure I was going to make it with the the low visibility, crawling at 5mph sometimes and still sliding around.

Glad ya got home safe vinny. Something I don't miss since I retired. Now I just hunker down. Member Dix lives on LI and she just told me that she just went over a foot of snow.

Thanks, BrotherBart. Really didn't expect this snow to be so deep and lasting (20 degrees doesn't let much melt on the road). I would have hunkered down, but I didn't think it was going to be that bad.

8dfc45ebe3a41192f8722233ba07e63a.jpg

Yeah, I felt like an idiot driving a 2WD Jeep Cherokee. I brought a knife to a gun fight.

Luckily for me, a had plenty of company on the roads. Traffic was packed. Most drivers didn't think if was going to be that bad that fast.

I made sure not to stop until I got home. Didn't want to risk stopping and getting stuck.

Only got about 7-8" here. Cold day, any moisture on the road must've turned right into ice. Luckily didn't have anywhere I needed to be. Very dry snow that's at least easy to clear.

Reactions: Wickets
Glad you made it home OK Vinny. It got very bad really, really fast yesterday. I was going to the supermarket, got 2 miles away, and said "screw this" and took myself home, and stayed put.

Glad you made it home OK Vinny. It got very bad really, really fast yesterday. I was going to the supermarket, got 2 miles away, and said "screw this" and took myself home, and stayed put.

Thanks, Dix.

Glad for stayed put.

You got lucky there aren't any hills! People think their vehicles are much more capable then they are till they hit bad weather and hills.

I'm forced to have 4wd and snow tires on the commuter car. I live at the bottom of a long driveway in the snow belt.

You got lucky there aren't any hills! People think their vehicles are much more capable then they are till they hit bad weather and hills.

I'm forced to have 4wd and snow tires on the commuter car. I live at the bottom of a long driveway in the snow belt.

I realized that every time the LIE climbed a little, the back of the Jeep would fish tail a bit if I gave it too much gas. Like you say, I am lucky I didn't have to tackle any real hills - it would have been game over.

Most of the snow that fell is still around as it has been real cold, but Thursday it is supposed to warm up to 55 degrees and rain. I am sure it's going to mess with the gutters around the house.

Last edited:
Left my 4wd home in case my oldest (home from college) needs to go out. Promptly did a slow motion, all wheels locked slide into the street from my gently sloped driveway. Zero traction. Unless the sun helps out today it's possible I won't be able to get up to the house when I get home. Stuff we do for our kids-

Helpless feeling.
Yes, especially with all the anti lock brake and ECT systems popping like crazy! It was crawling, prob no more 0.5 mph. More of a foreshadowing of what my first 4 miles to work were like.

Reactions: vinny11950
Think we got the same system you did. Some glad for the AWD SUV & new winter tires. Drove 2.5 hours Saturday evening getting home, snowed all the way but we were going the same way the system was so just stayed on the leading fringe of it. We got home just in time - I looked outside on the way to bed 3 hours after getting home & it looked like there was a foot of new snow on the truck.

Reactions: vinny11950
Think we got the same system you did. Some glad for the AWD SUV & new winter tires. Drove 2.5 hours Saturday evening getting home, snowed all the way but we were going the same way the system was so just stayed on the leading fringe of it. We got home just in time - I looked outside on the way to bed 3 hours after getting home & it looked like there was a foot of new snow on the truck.

That'd be the one. Near white out here for a couple of hours.

Was wondering how our east coast friends were making out ... winter storms are never fun. Daughter and her boyfriend got on the road just in time ... he's moving from South Carolina to Florida for a job.

We are supposed to get a warm up above freezing until Friday. Hopefully that lets the secondary roads clear up and we get some melt so we don't get any ice dams on our roofs.

We are supposed to get a warm up above freezing until Friday. Hopefully that lets the secondary roads clear up and we get some melt so we don't get any ice dams on our roofs.

It's warming up, and the roof is melting. Rain tonight should wash most of it away.

Cross your fingers.

To late, J. Windows under the ice bergs have started their drip...... I moved the couch & coffee table.

I opened windows and knocked o the icicles.... water started running off of the roof. It can't rain fast enough for me.

To late, J. Windows under the ice bergs have started their drip...... I moved the couch & coffee table.

I opened windows and knocked o the icicles.... water started running off of the roof. It can't rain fast enough for me.
If the water starts to run and doesn't refreeze I should be ok. I know your temps tend to dip below average, hope you stay dry!

Just came back from a visit up north to a friends place. Could only drive my 2wd truck up to the neighbors. Their road and driveway was 3-4" solid ice caused by large snowfalls, rain, sleet then more snow. All compacted down since early Dec.. It is barely walkable and only his 4wd with chains can make it up in compound low. 55F here now today. Hoping they are thawing out.

Lately, every time I check the national weather, the Northwest is suffering some crazy storm system that involves snow, ice and rain. Meanwhile here in NY it feels like late March, early April. Can't complain much, cause I am not burning as many pellets.

PS, I finally swapped out the pinion yoke on the front differential and installed the front drive shaft to get 4WD on the Jeep :)

Just came back from a visit up north to a friends place. Could only drive my 2wd truck up to the neighbors. Their road and driveway was 3-4" solid ice caused by large snowfalls, rain, sleet then more snow. All compacted down since early Dec.. It is barely walkable and only his 4wd with chains can make it up in compound low. 55F here now today. Hoping they are thawing out.

Wow, just saw some pictures of the ice storm in Oregon and Washington. More coming this weekend. Be safe.