More storage space for Nut shells

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
Since Feb 2010 we have switched to the nut shells as our primary heating fuel and storage is always an issue.

Heating the house heating this 2400 foot shack takes a fair amount of fuel.

Storage has always been accomplished using 50 gallon steel drums as well as several smaller cardboard barrels of various sizes.

This past winter with the two Whits churning away day in day out depending on the weather, we plowed through a lot of shells.

My kids hit me up about taking my upright feezer to their place (I dont use it any more)
Sooooo now I will have a spot in a corner of the basement that will allow me to build a lovley storage bin that will hold about 3-1/2 cubic yards of shells.

This is equivalent to about twelve 50 gallon drums of shells. Best part is that the bin will take up less space than 12 drums, plus allow other storage on top of the bin.

Going to make the bin 5 foot on two sides then a 4 foot end and one diagonal side, then four foot high.

I can use OSB to sheet the thing and it will have a lid on it to keep the occasional mouse that finds its way into the basement OUT. Its a daylight basement with a small rollup door at one end.

This will definately solve my delema of not enough storage space.

With shells only available duirng a few months in the fall, I need to get this handled.

I had been contemplating a dumpster, but they are spendy and would have to be stored in an out building.

Once this project gets under way, I will do some Piccy's and some show and tell.

Snowy+---

Any chance of getting some sort of vac system to transfer the shells from your truck to the storage area?

Being relatively new to the pellet world, I'm also curious about the shells. What's the comparison, 1 ton of pellets v.s. 1 ton of shells, or do they measure in cubic? Where does one get shells and how do the prices and btu's compare?

I know, darn newbie... :)

Casie said:
Being relatively new to the pellet world, I'm also curious about the shells. What's the comparison, 1 ton of pellets v.s. 1 ton of shells, or do they measure in cubic? Where does one get shells and how do the prices and btu's compare?

I know, darn newbie... :)

Hello Casie

See >> http://www.holmquisthazelnuts.com/Departments/Hazelnut-Shells.aspx

The Hazelnut shells can be burned in many wood pellet stoves such as the Whitfield and my Astoria with the multi-fuel burnpot.
Below is a pic of the 40 lb bag and what they look like.

Attachments

• WPHazelNutShells.jpg
    WPHazelNutShells.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 177
What about some chest type freezers that are no longer operational. They would be cheap if not free craigslist finds and the critter issue shouldn't be an issue. I would gut the copper out if any and set them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.