More Wood Delivered - Nice!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Ed

Hello Everyone,

I'm not sure if anyone is checking in on this site this time of year (I hate July, August is worse) but I have to brag on my local wood dealer. I purchased another cord of wood to supplement my scrounge wood. They delivered a solid 128 cubic feet of wood and it is split perfectly and well seasoned. If you are in the KC, Missouri area I highly recommend Midwest Premium Firewood.

See you all this winter -

Don Ed

hi don!
just a heads up....... we cant enjoy your happiness if you dont show pictures......
so please show us pictures so we can share your happiness

Ask and ye shall receive! The first photo is me stacking the first of the two rows of 18" splits. The second is the completed pile. I have to hand it to my 2 sons and my wife for lending a hand in getting the wood to me from the driveway. My poor 11 year old bore the burden of most the hauling of wood in the wheelbarrow. He'll have arms like tree trunks if he keeps up this kind of work!

Attachments

• Making Pile 1.jpg
    Making Pile 1.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 617
  • Finished Pile 1.jpg
    Finished Pile 1.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 638
Looks good. I wish I could stack just one cord and call her done. My two sons live too far away to help. I've got 6 cord laid up in the shed now and 6 more before I can call her done.

Hello Ontario....hope things are good up North. I visited Canada several years ago and loved being there. It would be nice to visit again someday.

I have another cord plus that I cut/split laid up in another part of the yard. I have a bit more splitting to do but had to put a new handle on my maul. Got that done today and pretty pleased with the results. I need to sharpen it tomorrow after Church. This is our first full winter using wood as much as we can but my wife and I are still teaching full time so the central heat will come on some during the day.

Good to hear from you, eh?

Don Ed
Independence, MO

I used way too much wood last year. I'm going to let the gas furnace come on more often this coming heating season. Over the last 2 years I bucked and split 24 cord (full, not face) and look forward to being far enough ahead to be able to slow down a bit.

Don, in case nobody has yet done this, welcome to the forum.

That does look like a nice wood pile and surprisingly, it even appears to be somewhat seasoned. You will learn very fast that when someone sells wood, they automatically say it is seasoned, which is meaningless.

On the wood pile, in the future you might try leaving a fairly large gap between the rows in order to allow more air flow for even more wood drying or seasoning.

One other trick we use is to never cover the wood until late fall or early winter (before the snow flies). Leaving the top open allows for even more evaporation of moisture. Then in late fall we cover the tops of the pile. We also use old galvanized roofing for the cover because the tarps don't last long and if you have to remove them in the winter you will find them stuck to the wood by that winter thing we call ice. But, we still use the tarp when we run out of roofing.

One more trick you will learn quite fast is to always have a two year wood supply on hand. You will be amazed at how much better the wood burns and how much less wood it takes to get the same amount of heat. So, less fuel used equals fewer dollars paid out for fuel. A winner all the way.

Good luck on your first year burning wood. I predict you will love it.

Backwoods Savage said:
...surprisingly, it even appears to be somewhat seasoned.
...they automatically say it is seasoned, which is meaningless.
Judging by the difference in colour between the ends and the sides, I would say they were bucked a long time ago but split more recently. Wood will season slower left in the round. Since the larger operators run wood processors that buck and split in one operation, my guess is that wood came from a smaller operator or that second pic is your scrounge stuff. Not sure why people leave wood sitting so long in the round and wait to split it much later.

Yes, you have to watch out for those purveyors of "seasoned" wood. They've been calling everything seasoned so long they start to believe it themselves.

yahooooo!!!!!!!

I love pictures thanks!!! and nice neat job!

LLigetfa said:
Not sure why people leave wood sitting so long in the round and wait to split it much later.

I find the piles of logs left unprocessed even more curious.

w0xdl said:
Hello Ontario....hope things are good up North. I visited Canada several years ago and loved being there. It would be nice to visit again someday.

I have another cord plus that I cut/split laid up in another part of the yard. I have a bit more splitting to do but had to put a new handle on my maul. Got that done today and pretty pleased with the results. I need to sharpen it tomorrow after Church. This is our first full winter using wood as much as we can but my wife and I are still teaching full time so the central heat will come on some during the day.

Good to hear from you, eh?

Don Ed
Independence, MO
My wife and I do the same. We can fill 'er up before we leave and coals when we get back. Don't sell yourself short on not being able to heat 24/7. Keep the thermostat down and you will be fine. Just make sure you can work the stove.
Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.