More Wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Looks like some possible high winds which usually brings down some cherry.

... HIGH WIND WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH LATE SUNDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A HIGH WIND WATCH... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH LATE SUNDAY NIGHT.

* LOCATIONS... NORTH SLOPES OF THE ADIRONDACKS IN NEW YORK.

* HAZARDS... STRONG AND GUSTY SOUTHEAST WINDS.

* WINDS... SOUTHEAST 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH POSSIBLE.

* TIMING... WINDS WILL STEADILY INCREASE DURING THE DAY SUNDAY. THE HIGHEST WINDS SHOULD OCCUR DURING SUNDAY AFTERNOON INTO EARLY SUNDAY EVENING BEFORE DIMINISHING SUNDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS... HIGH WINDS MAY CAUSE DAMAGE TO TREES AND POWER LINES. SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES ARE POSSIBLE... ESPECIALLY FOR COMMUNITIES ALONG THE IMMEDIATE NORTHERN SLOPES OF THE ADIRONDACKS.

Sounds nasty Zap. Better to stay out of the woods when that is going on.

Does this mean all the snow will miss you on this round? Maybe we'll get it all instead.

Sounds rough last snow storm here they called for 4 inches we got 12. That was last week.

Backwoods Savage said:

Does this mean all the snow will miss you on this round? Maybe we'll get it all instead.

Sav, the latest weather report is calling for 1-3 inches but it seems to change everyday. Did you get your new toy yet?

zap

corey21 said:
Sounds rough last snow storm here they called for 4 inches we got 12. That was last week.

corey21, has this winter been normal for you?

zap

... ADVERSE WINTER WEATHER WILL OCCUR SUNDAY AND SUNDAY NIGHT...

A STRONG COLD FRONT WILL MOVE ACROSS OUR REGION SATURDAY NIGHT BRINGING SHARPLY COLDER TEMPERATURES. SNOW SHOWERS WILL OCCUR ACROSS MOST AREAS SUNDAY AND SUNDAY NIGHT. AT THIS TIME WE ARE EXPECTING TOTAL SNOW FALL UP TO 4 INCHES ACROSS NORTHERN SECTIONS FROM KOKOMO TO MUNCIE. TWO INCHES FROM CRAWFORDSVILLE TO INDIANAPOLIS AND JUST UNDER A INCH FROM VINCENNES TO BEDFORD.

THE COMBINATION OF SNOW... WINDS UP 30 MPH AND BITTER COLD TEMPERATURES WILL PRODUCE BLOWING SNOW IN SOME AREAS MAINLY NORTH OF A CRAWFORDSVILLE TO INDIANAPOLIS AND NEW CASTLE LINE. CONDITIONS MAY BE ESPECIALLY BAD IN RURAL COUNTIES WHERE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW IS MORE LIKELY TO OCCUR.

PERSONS TRAVELING ON SUNDAY SHOULD LISTEN TO LATER STATEMENTS FROM THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE.

Jay, watched the weather at 2200, now the winds are up to 40mph. Also supposed to track more northerly than what they first reported, which puts you right in the path.

zapny said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Sav, the latest weather report is calling for 1-3 inches but it seems to change everyday. Did you get your new toy yet?

zap

Got is Zap. Will try to get some pictures today or tomorrow.

Latest for us is 5-9" and a lot of blowing followed by extreme cold. I have noticed some area of MI predicted 10-15." After that the lake effect kicks in and there will be lots more as you well know.

billdiesel said:
Jay, watched the weather at 2200, now the winds are up to 40mph. Also supposed to track more northerly than what they first reported, which puts you right in the path.

Yes I seen that I live around corn fields.... (no wind blocks at all) Got a cord of red oak stack next to the furnace gas fire place tune up, gen-set test fired this a.m. and gas up. Still going to be a bite in the @ss! Snow plow is ready as well I get large drifts.

smokinjay said:
billdiesel said:

Yes I seen that I live around corn fields.... (no wind blocks at all) Got a cord of red oak stack next to the furnace gas fire place tune up, gen-set test fired this a.m. and gas up. Still going to be a bite in the @ss! Snow plow is ready as well I get large drifts.
"Wind...northwesterly winds gusting as high as 40 to 50 mph will develop across the Illinois River valley by Sunday morning.. then spread eastward to the Illinois Indiana border by Sunday afternoon."
Just got this off my weather page (see signature) Looks like "More Wood? is a YES!

You like that cherry don't you zap

splitnstack said:
You like that cherry don't you zap

Splitnstack, most of our wood that is seasoned for one year is cherry. We have enough cherry bucked,split and stacked for another two years of burning after this burning season is done.

Cherry is nice too burn and seasons quick.

zap

Pure pleasure to split by hand as well. You getting freezing rain there Zap? Looks like we might just get rain.

SolarAndWood said:
Pure pleasure to split by hand as well. You getting freezing rain there Zap? Looks like we might just get rain.

Solar we have 33 degrees and raining some, looks like possible high winds and thats it.

zap

So much for the big storm. Thats ok I suppose, might give the ground a chance to freeze.

SolarAndWood said:
So much for the big storm. Thats ok I suppose, might give the ground a chance to freeze.

I just checked weather.com map and the feezing rain is going to hit around 10:00 am.

Edit 10:39 am, looks like the freezing rain might stay north and south of us. (right on the edge)

zap

I split a few cords yesterday and some other various outdoor activities knowing stormy weather was on it's way.....had planned to put my feet up & watch the Giants game this afternoon on our new TV but it's postponed until Monday night due to snowstorm....rats!

Similar here zap. Well....west of us has a high wind warning. It rained today so I moved some wood instead of skiing. We head back to CT tonight and it looks like more rain down there, blah!!!!

Skier76 said:
Similar here zap. Well....west of us has a high wind warning. It rained today so I moved some wood instead of skiing. We head back to CT tonight and it looks like more rain down there, blah!!!!

Still waiting for the high winds, went back in the woods with the rhino today and it was like early spring with the trails just soaked with water.

zap

zapny said:
corey21 said:

corey21, has this winter been normal for you?

zap

No not really.

Friday I took my kayak I am building out to a local lake to try it out it was in the upper 50's.

Sat. the winds came and that evening and all night gusts up to 50 mph.
Today it is 5 deg. outside. Thats life in K.C. Missouri

Attachments

• tn_PIC_1643.jpg
    tn_PIC_1643.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 102
Status
Not open for further replies.