More work done, ID, and wood issues... "Now with pics!"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireAnt

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2009
Central CT
I finished up a big split Silver Maple today and took down a plum tree that was on it's "last leg" after the storm a few weeks ago. I got done and looked at the pile thinking how much I have to split at home + how many trips it was going to take to get this pile out back to the house. I am on my way home and a guy one street over is cutting down everything in his yard and it's stacked on the side of the road. What do I do...? You guessed it! Loaded the truck up...I have issues:)

I have an ID question. The stuff I picked up has bark like ash and smells like chemicals. Almost like creosote for fence posts. It has a dark center and orange/yellow band below the bark. Tulip/Poplar??

My guess would be tulip.

FireAnt said:
I finished up a big split Silver Maple today and took down a plum tree that was on it's "last leg" after the storm a few weeks ago. I got done and looked at the pile thinking how much I have to split at home + how many trips it was going to take to get this pile out back to the house. I am on my way home and a guy one street over is cutting down everything in his yard and it's stacked on the side of the road. What do I do...? You guessed it! Loaded the truck up...I have issues:)

I have an ID question. The stuff I picked up has bark like ash and smells like chemicals. Almost like creosote for fence posts. It has a dark center and orange/yellow band below the bark. Tulip/Poplar??

It's not a sickness, it's money in the bank, nice work FireAnt.

zap

A good issue to have fireant. Yes, it does sound like tulip poplar.

Thanks guys! I finished up transporting all the wood... The guy down the street from me also cut down a BIG stubby "Cherry"? A more decorative Cherry I guess. Loaded up that unexpectedly this morning. Then 5 loads of Silver Maple and Plum. My camera battery died so I will have to get pics later.

Here is the new pile. Mixture of Norway, Silver Maple, Pine, Cedar, Plum, Cherry, Tulip

Attachments

• phpfrMktLPM.jpg
    phpfrMktLPM.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 336
  • phpmKPP10PM.jpg
    phpmKPP10PM.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 354
Nice assortment FA!

Ray

FireAnt said:
Here is the new pile. Mixture of Norway, Silver Maple, Pine, Cedar, Plum, Cherry, Tulip

FireAnt; you have a nice mixture of wood, we are jst finishing up the last of our shoulder season wood (popple) then it's time to flame upsome cherry.

When does the splitting take place?

zap

Thanks guys!

stax here is the wood in front of it. My truck is parked where that stack is. There is a lot to split......https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/82995/

scotvl- I burned 3 cords of Norway last year. Love the stuff, it burned great in my stove.

I have some more cutting to do this weekend and then it is splitting time. Here is the wood https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/79188/

zap-I am going to have a "splitting party" very soon. I will also split during the week.

I also did some cutting on the big Cottonwood we had cut down. I got the top done now I will get on the trunk when all this is c/s/s.

Status
Not open for further replies.