morels.....anybody gettin' any?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now........ don't ask me the name of the river. Don't ask me where the bar is. Don't ask me any names. I know nuttin'

It shall forever be referred to as "the thing with the guy at the place".

Reactions: PapaDave and ScotO
I have yet to see any "big" yellows yet....I'm hoping that the next warm-up (expected in a couple of days) gives them a push. If not, it may be until next year til we get any big ones....

We found some this past weekend back in the woods here. What left in the fridge.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368492825078.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368492825078.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 134
Nada so far- my students are finding tons. yellows in full swing apparently, but my poplar groves are barren

That is HUGE. I said a couple of weeks ago, that if we get some heat, we will have morels the size of coke bottles. I guess that proves it.:eek:

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
I've found several that big before, if not bigger. Not much for eatin', but they are fun to find.

I found one in the backyard last year.
One.
Wife just told me a few minutes ago that they're selling for 49.95/lb. around here.
Um, no.
If I find any this year, they'll go to friends.

My office mate told me that he once nuked a patch with chemicals because he assumed they were bad (ugly to him). I almost cried
Same here. Was just talking to a buddy of mine at my daughter's baseball game last night, almost word for word what you went through!! He didn't get to the spraying part.....but would mow them down with the mower whenever they popped up.

My buddy asked if he could pick them and the guy said "pick them ALL"! So he ended up getting several hundred (filled three large cardboard boxes) of them in less than an hour!!

I live in the mushroom capitol of the world and I've never seen one growing in the wild.
I will be looking all the time now.

Reactions: ScotO
I found these at the base of an Elm stump, are they Morel mushrooms.

Attachments

• 100_7231.JPG
    100_7231.JPG
    388.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 100_7232.JPG
    100_7232.JPG
    309.8 KB · Views: 145
Zap, no they're not. They look to me like the beginnings (buttons) of Dryad's Saddle, ( Polyporus Squamosus, I think), a common early spring 'shroom. they're listed as edible, but I've tried them and they suck, but keep an eye on them, and if I'm right, they'll fan out to about 12" or so, and be a beautiful addition to the spring woods.

Reactions: ScotO and zap
I love morels, mmmm.

Scotty, I will have o call my purveyor this week and inquire about a price and availability, I will let you know how the white market is going these days......lol

Morels have now transitioned to north facing slopes. Got about 1.5 pounds over the weekends walks.

Morals? Nope, don't have a one. I'm a lying, cheating SOB. ;)

They're done here. Found a few crunchy yellows this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.