Morels

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohio woodburner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2009
NW Ohio
Are up! Found about 57 so far.
crop_Resampled952012-04-019514-38-2995292.jpg

Reactions: zap, quads and pen
And they are delicious.!?!?!

I batter them like I do my Deer tenderloin and lightly fry in oil..... Mmmmmmmmm...... I never go looking for them (have buddies that do.. ;) )

Thats a good score. Do you sell them? Or just collect to eat?

And they are delicious.!?!?!

I batter them like I do my Deer tenderloin and lightly fry in oil..... Mmmmmmmmm...... I never go looking for them (have buddies that do.. ;) )

Thats a good score. Do you sell them? Or just collect to eat?

Still soaking! I'll let ya know tomorrow how delicious they were :p No i keep em all.... well give a FEW away lol I just roll em in flour salt pepper and fry em in oil

They were finding blacks about a month ago up north in MI. Nice looking batch of white ones there! Finding them under Ash trees?

Gary

I find them pretty much everywhere Gary, mostly under pines here though. I hate picking them this small but i found them in a place i couldnt leave em to grow larger. I have a few honey holes where i can leave them grow a week or so after finding them and not risk someone taking them

Haven't found squat yet. I need to start looking harder. Those look like the smaller "greys" that we get around here. Usually those pop up before the larger whites (cream colored). Is that what I am looking at??

Jags, ya these are the greys we get. Always seem to be smaller and earlier than the whites, although i call em yellows.

The woods is so overgrown now I'm not sure I could find them if they were up. I found a few yellows in early April...usually they come up near the end of April. It has been a weird year for sure.

PICT0041.JPG Found a few smaller greys with some yellows 2 weeks ago.Went out 3 more times,nothing yet.Season is about 3 weeks ahead of normal here because of the early Spring.Has been cool,cloudy and/or wet the past week,thinking it might be done now,hope not though.

When I find a decent amount each year most get dehydrated for future use & stored in glass jars.Resoak them,chop them up in sauces,soups & stews or crush them to a powder when adding to the same.They go farther that way.You'd be surprised how much flavor 3 or 4 of them small dried crushed ones add to a dish. I normally have at least 2 meals of them dipped in flour//cornmeal egg batter & fried among the first picked.

VERY expensive to buy dried in those little cellophane bags,this pint jar would be close to $70 worth at local specialty shop.

Attachments

• PICT0042.JPG
    PICT0042.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 133
  • PICT0046.JPG
    PICT0046.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 116
  • PICT0003.JPG
    PICT0003.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 148
Good find Thistle. I found some yellows yesterday, not many though. I hate to say it but i think their about done here for the season.
morels.jpg

Reactions: quads and Thistle
never had em, interesting though. i dont recall seeing "mushrooms" that look like that down here in Va. to the OP is that what they look like when they are growing?
ya that's what they look like, several different color varietys out there. last pic i posted were cut in half soaking in water

kool! as i said , i do not think they are common down here in Va. i'll have to keep an eye out for them though as if im not looking "for" somthing i may have seen them and just not known they were anything other than a mushroom

DSC00042.JPG couldnt resist, wife took this shot out on the golf course. i told her it was a bit "riske" for the normal fungus population

Status
Not open for further replies.