Morning scrounge - wood id please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schlot

Minister of Fire
Nov 21, 2011
Iowa
Helped get an old fallen tree out of a relatives pasture. Only got a 1/4th of way through it this morning.

The tree has been down for quite some time, bark has started to fall off and there were a few punky pieces but it worked out good. The owner thought it was boxelder but I don't think so. Anyone want to guess?

20130126_122420.jpeg 20130126_122413.jpeg

Some kind of big old maple?

Yea..looks like Maple to me also.

Split and stacked about half the load. The larger rounds ran around 20% while the smaller splits were up to 17%..

Found a few punky ones with moisture around 25%. Here is a picture of a split. Maple but must not be a silver maple?

20130126_165655.jpeg

I dont see red streaks? but maple and box elder are the same, good score, good for shoulder season.

I don't think maple but not sure what it is. Some of the bark looks a little like maple but the heartwood throws me. I just had some that looked almost identical mixed in with a few trees that were pushed over with the dozer last year. Of course there are several different types of maple.

Kind of looks like Red Maple. If so, great mid-output wood, and dries faster than almost anything else.

Thanks, whatever it is it burns nice. Not quite as nice as the ash ive been using but it puts out decent heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.