Morning sky

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Redmorningsky.gif

This says there is a storm in the air and there was. Thankfully most of it missed us. After the front passed the temperatures fell rapidly yesterday. At 4:00 it felt almost warm. By 6:00 it felt cold. By 9:00 it felt frigid. Water is pretty hard this morning.

Red at night, sailors delight.
Red in the morning, sailors take warning!

Beautiful, Dennis. I am an "early bird" (4:30-5ish) and watching dawn break and the sun rise is what energizes this bunny for the coming day. Um, that and breakfast!

Thanks Bobbin. I had been sitting at the computer but looked out the window and when I saw that sky I just had to take a picture. As for the rising times, it varies a lot with me. I'm retired so get out of bed whenever I feel like it.

Dennis, I think people are "hard wired" for certain things. I have always been up before dawn and getting up "in the dark" presents no more difficulty than going to bed while it's still "light out" does. I absolutely hate "daylight savings time". It doesn't "save" anything for me... just screws up the real clock (the sun) twice a year. And I'm not alone; the farmers and fishermen I know all say the same thing. Go figure. You can call before 5 AM, but don't call after 8 PM if you want to speak to me. :coolhmm:

I start work at 6 AM and by 2PM I'm all done! The hours that follow are "my time", I do what I want and I "wind down" for the day. No wonder I was an utter failure in "corporate" America. (I'm actually rather proud of that, if the truth be told.)

And it interests me that there is a whole group of people who operate on "my" schedule and over the years we've all gotten to know each other. I see them at stores, gas stations, and we pass each other on the road at the same times every day... when traffic is light enough that you actually recognize cars and trucks. Funny, huh?

Bobbin, I can relate well. Growing up on the farm started me out with early hours. That kept up with me for a long, long time. Now I don't care. Oh, the 8:00 sacking out times I started when I was a real small boy and I still do that a lot. I will say that in my working years, I got more work done before noon almost always.

However, one also has to understand there is a huge difference in daylight times between where you are and where we are. I've always thought we should be on Central time here. I too do not like the daylight savings time. It always seemed crazy to me to be adjusting the clock twice every year. There are still 24 hours in each day...

Bobbin said:
Dennis, I think people are "hard wired" for certain things. I have always been up before dawn and getting up "in the dark" presents no more difficulty than going to bed while it's still "light out" does. I absolutely hate "daylight savings time". It doesn't "save" anything for me... just screws up the real clock (the sun) twice a year. And I'm not alone; the farmers and fishermen I know all say the same thing. Go figure. You can call before 5 AM, but don't call after 8 PM if you want to speak to me. :coolhmm:

I start work at 6 AM and by 2PM I'm all done! The hours that follow are "my time", I do what I want and I "wind down" for the day. No wonder I was an utter failure in "corporate" America. (I'm actually rather proud of that, if the truth be told.)

And it interests me that there is a whole group of people who operate on "my" schedule and over the years we've all gotten to know each other. I see them at stores, gas stations, and we pass each other on the road at the same times every day... when traffic is light enough that you actually recognize cars and trucks. Funny, huh?

I hear ya Bobbin' . . . I've always been the type to wake early . . . and personally sunrise is one of my favorite times of the day . . . the way that morning light illuminates things is somehow almost magical . . . the only thing that approaches it is dusk and sunset . . . another time of the day that is simply magical as the light is fantastic.

I can't remember the last time an alarm clock actually woke me up . . . I tend to wake up automatically sometime between 4:30 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. . . . although the stupid time change does mess with me a bit. I still think it would have been a good thing to go with Atlantic Standard time.

And after 8 p.m. . . . I've often said that if anyone calls me after 8 p.m. at my house someone better be dead or dying since that is the only reason someone should be calling me then. ;)

Backwoods Savage said:
Bobbin, I can relate well. Growing up on the farm started me out with early hours. That kept up with me for a long, long time. Now I don't care. Oh, the 8:00 sacking out times I started when I was a real small boy and I still do that a lot. I will say that in my working years, I got more work done before noon almost always.

However, one also has to understand there is a huge difference in daylight times between where you are and where we are. I've always thought we should be on Central time here. I too do not like the daylight savings time. It always seemed crazy to me to be adjusting the clock twice every year. There are still 24 hours in each day...

We kind of get short changed here too Dennis since we're right on the edge of the time zone . . . come winter time it's pretty common for me to leave my house in the dark and get home in the dark . . . sometimes I think it might be a bit better if we were just located a little more to the west . . . or if we were in the Atlantic time zone . . . guess in the end it doesn't really matter . . . like you said . . . until the government changes it we still only have 24 hours in the day.

Great picture by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.