Morristown NJ Need help Free Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
I had my eye on a hung tree for some time on my way to work. I got permission from the homeowner on Monday. I dropped it and bucked almost all of it. I took 2 pickup loads home. I believe it's Oak. It has the smell, it's heavy, and the bark is very thick and red. Could this be red oak? It's bark is really thick and like a redwood tree. The rounds look like round gears with the bark looking like teeth. It is a hardwood tree with branches (not an evergreen).

What is left is too big for my saw - but a very easy cut. It's on the ground and the main trunk is actually off the ground a few inches (easy). Someone with a 20 inch bar and a 50 cc saw should be just fine. I can continue to work on it with my 16 inch saw, but it's tough - but doable. The trunk is between wash tub and 5 gallon bucket size. You can cut it as far down to the roots as you feel like - the owner has a backhoe and will take care of whats left. The rounds are a short 50 foot gentle down hill roll to the street to load in your truck. (Ground is too soft for driving on). There could be about 10 rounds left (including 3 I left behind - because I ran out of room in my truck). About a pick up load left. Theres about 8 feet from the stump and then another section thats about 6 feet up to a Y where it gets too wide for my saw. So about 14 feet of big rounds left.

The homeowner is a mansonry contractor and is very cool. He also gave me another tree further up on his property - that I hope to get later. I hate to give away good free wood. PM me if you're interested. I could meet you there next Sunday and work it with you - or if you want it all - I will just give you the address to go by and get it. I'm not greedy. It's a 30 mile drive for me and I've got closer wood. So PM me if you are in Morris County NJ. Might just let you have the second tree too. Just don't make a mess - as the owner has been very gracious.

Thanks

I wanted to pitch this here to Hearth.com guys first before hitting craigslist, but if no one wants it, I'll let the animals at craigslist have a shot at it.

Basswidow, I appreciate the offer, and would get involved, but I don't go out of my way for oak. It just takes too long to season on my property. I have very little sun. With the economy in the condition its in I can't even be sure I will be here in two years, when that oak may be ready! But thanks anyway.

I hear ya GZ. I would have passed on it had I known it was oak. Will take 2 years before I can burn it. I didn't know what it was until I started cutting into it and didn't want to turn to the homeowner and say - no thanks. I'm with you on Oak. I'd just as soon have cherry, ash, and other woods. I'm gonna split this down small and put it separate in full sun and wind and see what I get come fall. I hope it's a hot dry summer. Last year was too wet for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.