morso 1125 and more, so I have some questions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jinx

Sep 12, 2015
towson md
Greetings folks -
First - thanks to this site, I bought a wood stove today. The fireplace we have is deeply set into a huge chimney in the center of our home and it is mostly decorative instead of providing heat. I measured the space carefully and found a nice Morso 1125 on Craigslist an hour away. Its red and in good condition, and with some help, it made its way into the trunk of my wagon.
I have yet to hook it up, the chimney is awaiting a liner to be installed.

My question today is a simple one, as I am sure that there is an easy answer. The iron plate that fits inside the stove was removed for transporting it. I am having a difficult time refitting it. I see a few cast ledges where it should sit, but my 15 minute attempt failed to find a secure footing for it. There are 2 swivel bolts on the corners of the plate, do those face upwards or down, and is there an edge that has to be put in first so it can then be placed? Simple instructions might help me refit it.

From what I have read here, this stove is quite the cooker. The room that it is in is large, 20 by 20 and 2 stories tall. Our home is open plan in the center, so I am hoping that heat from the stove will helt migrate with the help of a good ceiling fan for mixture.

I need to buy some replacement rope. I believe I have seen that it is 3/8ths of an inch that fits. Confirmation of that would be great, I see that I can get that on amazon or home depot.
I'll get a thermometer too.

Right now, the stove sits without its legs, right on the ledge in front of the fireplace opening. The chimney stretches 5 feet to the left & right of it, and 20 feet up. The floor in front of the ledge is white ceramic tile. Nothing combustible is anywhere around it. How close to the fireplace front surface can the stove be placed? My intention is to have the back of the stove flush with the doors of the fireplace, only with them removed. I see no issues, its just that I read here that 5 inches is normal. I did consult with a wood stove installation contractor and they saw zero issues, they are going to do the liner work needed. Pricey, yes.

Thanks-
p

Status
Not open for further replies.