Morso 1440 Info

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corie

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
Camp Hill, PA
In the past I've recommended this stove to a few people here and elsewhere as a stove that could burn both wood and coal. I've read over the manual a bunch of times, and while there are no explicit directions on how to burn coal in the stove, the presence of the riddling grate and underfire air control made me believe it would still be a coal stove.

After reading the manual again today, I noticed something I hadn't seen before. Apparently the underfire air is actually just a decoration and although it is identical to the overfire air control spinner it is fixed and will not open. Without the ability to open that damper, the stove will not function as a coal heater. Sorry about the misinformation and just wanted to give everyone the heads up on the stove.

Corie said:
In the past I've recommended this stove to a few people here and elsewhere as a stove that could burn both wood and coal. I've read over the manual a bunch of times, and while there are no explicit directions on how to burn coal in the stove, the presence of the riddling grate and underfire air control made me believe it would still be a coal stove.

After reading the manual again today, I noticed something I hadn't seen before. Apparently the underfire air is actually just a decoration and although it is identical to the overfire air control spinner it is fixed and will not open. Without the ability to open that damper, the stove will not function as a coal heater. Sorry about the misinformation and just wanted to give everyone the heads up on the stove.

Hey Corie, I could swear I posted on this earlier today...

The 1410 is the only one that can possibly burn both, but you must order a specific coal or wood version. I've looked at this stove very closely since that was my first theory. I could buy 1 stove and burn both coal and wood. Now I do not see the 1410 coal listed in the US anymore. NOt sure if you can still get it..

The coal version has no burn tubes and a completely different baffle. There are a couple "plates" that direct the coal fire inward more on the coal version toward the riddling grate. And finally, the door is different in that the lower spinner is operational.

My parents had a coal stove similar in size to the 1410 in addition to a mid size Warm Morning. The warm morning was the work horse of the house, and the smaller stove handled the living room duties. A stove the size of a 1410 will burn over night on a coal load, but it probably won't on a wood load. The firebox is very small. I think I might still consider a 1410 coal if they were still sold here. It's a nicer looking stove than the Harman mark 1. But it's about 1/2 the size. Very nice for a smaller application.

If you do anything at englander, find a way to make a small stove that is EPA approved to burn both coal and wood, and doesn't look like a furnace someone stuck in your living room. It should come in 3 sizes like the Dutchwest does. I think you'd have a real winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.