morso 2b standard vs. dutchwest cdw244

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btcmd78

Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2010
cincinnati, ohio
greetings folks. wonderful forum. i have limited experience with wood stoves, so am learning a lot from many of you.

i have a 600 ft well insulated garage, 9ft ceilings, insulated double door that i need to heat.
am planning on doing this with a wood stove and am looking at the morso 2b standard (http://www.morsona.com/index.php/classic-stoves/morso-2b-standard.html)
and the dutchwest cdw244 (http://www.ashwoodfireplace.net/webpages/DutchWest-WB-CDW244.html).
my usual pattern of heating would be to go out on friday evening - light a fire and warm it up so saturday and sunday work could be done comfortably inside. and then let the fire die out on sunday night and relight again the following friday.

any thoughts on what might be better for this purpose?
considerations that i have are:
-quality
-durability (have some concerns about plate steel warping over time???)
-burn time while putting out adequate heat to warm things up, and then maintain temps
-cost; my price limit is about $1000. morso is right at $1000. dutchwest is $625.
-ease of tending the fire- don't want to be fussing with it too much while i'm working on stuff.

any other thoughts on alternative stoves is welcome.

many thanks in advance.

Random thoughts . . .

Gotta ask or mention it . . . is this garage used to store flammable fuels, cars, etc. or is this more of a space for a workshop? Many muncipalities prohibit woodstoves installed in a garage.

Of the two stoves mentioned I personally would go with the Morso . . . it has a well deserved reputation for quality and durability.

If price is a consideration as you mention and you're looking at steel stoves you might want to check out the Englander (Summer's Heat, Timber Ridge) line up. Most folks are quite pleased with the stoves, the price and the outstanding customer service.

As for burn time and ease of tending the fire . . . with any small firebox the one trade off you will get is not having quite as long a burn time as the larger fireboxes . . . the exception perhaps being stoves with cats in them as they reportedly excel at the "low and slow" burns which are idea for heating smaller spaces. Woodstocks and Blaze Kings are highly rated . . . but the Woodstock line up may be a bit fancier and expensive than what you are looking at and the Blaze King may be too large . . . I know some folks have reported that Bucks with cats are also decent, but I don't know much about these or the sizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.