Morso 360 cracked glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynxville

Jul 12, 2013
Midwest
Just lit a fire this morning and noticed the right side glass has a vertical crack from top to bottom down the center. I have no clue why, never hit the glass with wood, had this stove 6 years. Is it now dangerous to use until I get a new glass? Next question is why did it crack?

Replace the pane. It may be safe to use as long as you are awake & watching it, but I wouldn't let in burn unattended. The Pyroceram - not actually GLASS, per se - does not break from thermal shock. It breaks from contact with a log. Normal operation of a woodstove sees wood falling all the time, & this event doesn't generate for enough energy to break a pane of Pyroceram. More often than not, a door is closed upon a log that is too long for the firebox depth. Last time I checked, the price is about $1.00 per sq. in.

EDIT: I added a decimal point to the price. ($1.00) Sorry about that!

Last edited:
I think DAKSY meant $100 per sq. ft. since none of us would have glass in our stoves at $100 a sq. inch!

I imagine it's just like that trick for cutting bottles where instead of lighting a fuel soaked string you physically score the glass, heat the bottle and then quench it to make it break where you wanted. They're always warning us about doing nothing that would scratch the glass so it would certainly be possible that in the process of cleaning the glass a small bit of something etched a scratch that eventually broke it at that spot just the same as scoring it with a glass cutter, only maybe taking many more heating and cooling cycles to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.