Morso 7110

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
I was really taken by this stove over the weekend when we saw one. I love the simple elegant style, the whole look was just really high quality. I don't think we can afford one of these even if I could figure out the clearances to a mantel... but I am just wondering if those who have them adore them or what. On the down side, it takes only 16" logs and the heating capacity seems a little low, I think it was 1300 sq feet? I also wonder how those interior panels compare (or wear) as compared to firebrick or other materials. Looked like a very solid stove but those panels made me wonder a little.

7110.jpg

This is just such a nice looking stove. Not nearly as "plain jane" as it appears in photos. Does the form follow function?

tickbitty said:
I was really taken by this stove over the weekend when we saw one. I love the simple elegant style, the whole look was just really high quality. I don't think we can afford one of these even if I could figure out the clearances to a mantel... but I am just wondering if those who have them adore them or what. On the down side, it takes only 16" logs and the heating capacity seems a little low, I think it was 1300 sq feet? I also wonder how those interior panels compare (or wear) as compared to firebrick or other materials. Looked like a very solid stove but those panels made me wonder a little.

7110.jpg

This is just such a nice looking stove. Not nearly as "plain jane" as it appears in photos. Does the form follow function?

Well, I am biased. I am a Morso dealer. Nevertheless, I did burn this stove in my own house and I can say it is just as you suggest, a very high quality stove.

The inside panels are special vermiculite firebricks. They are superior to standard firebricks for combustion efficiency. The interior of the stove stays completely clean all the time. No soot build up. This is partly due to this vermiculite which reflects the heat into the firebox and aids in complete combustion. The surrounding cast tron will transfer the heat from the combustion into the home through radiation.

Yes, it is a smaller stove and will not get a "long" 8-hour burn time. We were able to achieve about a 6-hour burn time. And 14" or 15" logs work best, although it will take logs up to 17".

It is our best selling Morso model.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like my impressions were correct. Wish they (or somebody!) offered a similar style stove with a couple more size options, (like Jotul does with their series.) Seems like so many of the Morsos go up to 1200 or 1300 and then there is a big jump to one that does much higher square footage, (and seems to be blasted in the review here.)

Since you are a dealer, could you by any chance tell me what the clearances for mantel and side trim for a fireplace/hearth installation for this stove might be?

I am venturing more from inserts that I was looking at into some freestanding stoves, but only some seem to give clearances for that kind of hearth mount. It may be that I would have to go with a smaller stove like this one if I go freestanding, but I can't be sure till I can compare.

Lol, yeah Mellow you must have missed my "I am a miserable failure" post. When the Englander was on it's way to our happy home I noticed in the diagram, not even the small print of the manual but just a leeeeetle notation on the diagram, that the Englander is supposed to sit on at least a 6" raised hearth. I have a flush hearth (with combustibles underneath) and don't have a problem with stove board on the hearth or whatever but when I talked to Englander they (eventually, after thinking the 6" thing must be a misprint) confirmed that they want it up. We discussed doing that on some concrete blocks, but that would not look so great, and then the backplate would be up off the ground too, and etc. So it could have been done, but either would have been pretty cobbled together (and ugly) or take some really extensive or expensive modifications.

So, after all that it is getting sold again in the morning and I am in the market again. It does not seem that many other inserts have the same issues, but I am once bitten twice shy! Still looking at inserts and considering the possiblity of some freestandings, but getting all the information is even more important to me than it was before!

The info you have imparted continues to be very valuable. Another reason I didn't want to cobble something together for that stove was that it looked like maybe 8" liner might be better, but then I thought if I ended up with a different stove that might not be ideal - so here I am again. Visited the local dealer just to get some more ideas and I am still trolling craigslist like crazy.

Boy that Englander was easy to sell though, the good stuff moves fast. First buyer, poor thing, was all set to go but I happened to mention the hearth issue and they had the exact same setup so no go. Guy getting it tomorrow knows exactly what he's doing, so that's good.

mellow said:
With a free standing your going to have to do hearth work, that is for sure. I would just wait till spring and pickup a woodstock fireview, work on your hearth extension over the winter.

Why a Woodstock fireview specifically? I had not really considered the soapstones because of the expense. (says the woman posting a morso thread - not exactly cheap I know!) Like them though. (not really crazy about the gothic style though) Also can't find anything on hearth mantel clearances for a woodstock either.

Wouldn't commercial stove boards work under most freestanding stoves? If say, I didn't do much to the hearth....
(I am considering it though, but it would probably still be a flush hearth or close with whatever down below the floor - otherwise I would have to mess with the mantel etc too much.)

seaken said:
Well, I am biased. I am a Morso dealer. Nevertheless, I did burn this stove in my own house and I can say it is just as you suggest, a very high quality stove.

I would agree, this and the 3610 are the best stoves for the US market. But...

The inside panels are special vermiculite firebricks. They are superior to standard firebricks for combustion efficiency.

Yes, compared to the heavy, yellowish firebrick used in lower-end stoves, it is a better material. But it is inferior to the lightweight IFB's (insulting fire brick) used in many stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.