Morso convection stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PAcountryboy

Jul 24, 2008
South Central PA
Anybody have any experience with Morso convection wood stoves? How well does the convection system work? Good quality with Morso? Decent burn times?

They are a little contemporary looking for my taste, but the convection principle combined with tight clearances make them attractive. Any input appreciated.

I just bought a 3440 but I don't have it installed yet. I went with it because I read/heard good things about Morso and the wife liked the contemporary look. I didn't have a chimney so I had the dealer install one. They will come back and set the stove up once I get the floor done. I wish I had it in as its starting to get time to put some heat on. I'm putting a slate floor down but when I pulled the floor up to prep it for installing cement board I found some rot by the patio door. I had to replace some sub-floor, part of the sill and install a new slider. The cement board is in and all I have to do is get the slate down, grouted and sealed and it will be ready for the stove. Sounds easy but all I need is some time to do it. I'll let you know how it is when I get it going but it will be a few weeks yet.

I haven't owned a Morso, but that is more an aesthetic issue then anything about the stove build or performance. They are first rate stoves with excellent castings and good performance.

I'll be installing a mid-sized Morso with a friend in a couple weeks. He's putting it in a yurt which will be quite interesting from an installation standpoint. I'll let you know how it burns after we get past the break-in and we've had a few fires in it.

Here's a similar thread with some Morso owner comments:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/19297/

I have the radiant 7110. Small firebox with the usual sloped down at the back secondary air tube/baffle design that makes it harder to get a full load of wood in there without burning your hand or having something roll out or slide into the glass. The stoves are very well made with excellent castings and precision assembly. I modified the loose door handle thingy so that it was permanently installed on the door and it never got too hot to touch. My 7110 has a 1.6 cu ft firebox and provides good heat for 4-6 hours (heating 1300 sq feet in southern Michigan) Replaced this season with the Pacific Energy T5 which has a huge rectangular firebox by comparison and was cheaper at $1700 compared to the Morso at $2200 last fall.

The convection style stoves are quite popular in europe. Often they have quite a tall format which strengthens the convection flow with a storage bin for firewood at floor level. I think that is illegal here in the US or the manufacturer fears litigation if you manage to ignite your indoor wood stash.

bonesneeze said:
I just bought a 3440 but I don't have it installed yet. I went with it because I read/heard good things about Morso and the wife liked the contemporary look. I didn't have a chimney so I had the dealer install one. They will come back and set the stove up once I get the floor done. I wish I had it in as its starting to get time to put some heat on. I'm putting a slate floor down but when I pulled the floor up to prep it for installing cement board I found some rot by the patio door. I had to replace some sub-floor, part of the sill and install a new slider. The cement board is in and all I have to do is get the slate down, grouted and sealed and it will be ready for the stove. Sounds easy but all I need is some time to do it. I'll let you know how it is when I get it going but it will be a few weeks yet.

Sounds like one of my projects....always turns into something more than you expected!
At least your discovered the problem and can fix it now before it got worse. Let me know how the you like the stove.

KeithO said:
Replaced this season with the Pacific Energy T5 which has a huge rectangular firebox by comparison and was cheaper at $1700 compared to the Morso at $2200 last fall.

$1700 for a T5 last fall???? WOW, have prices gone up. Priced one out at $2400. Of course, a good portion of that was for shipping to PA, but still.....

I am very pleased with my Morso and it's looks. It has a 3 cubic foot fire box, with excellent burn times. Very well made and heats real well. Exceptional secondary fire, with flames licking up the top of the stove. Burned all last winter and checked the chimney this spring, didn't need cleaning. Burns clean, but I do use dry wood. I have the side door, and absolutely love loading from the side. The ash pans are terrific, easy to to remove, and dump.

Status
Not open for further replies.