Morso Glass Hearth Pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

83glt

Nov 8, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY
I had posted elsewhere but was advised to start a new thread for better exposure. So here I am.

We just purchased a Morso 2110 and would really like to use Morso's glass hearth pad. The installation manual for the 2110 simply states that the hearth pad must have an R-value of 1.0 and the appropriate clearances. As far as I can tell, the Morso glass pad has appropriate clearances. At 8mm, I'm not sure about the R-value. As far as I can make out from researching online, 1/4" single pain glass has an R-value of about 0.91. 8mm is approximately 1/3", so a little thicker - presumably having a higher R-value. Does 1/3" glass have an R-value of 1.0 or greater?

I would like to use the Morso glass pad with the 2110, but our dealer is refusing to sell us the glass pad as he states that Morso's dealer literature indicates the 2110 is not compatible with the glass pad. I saw dealer book, but it doesn't give a reason - just that it's not to be used with the 2110 and a handful of other models. If you look at the customer brochure and scan the different models, you will see that most have include the appropriate glass pad in the specifications section, though the 2110 is among 2 or 3 models that do not include this information, apparently confirming that Morso feels these models should not be used with the glass pad.

That said, there is at least one Member here who has the 2110 and uses the glass pad - it was installed by a professional/certified installer. Does anyone know why Morso states their glass pad is not compatible with the 2110, and can I get away with using it as others here have done?

Glass can be used for an ember protection only hearth. In the case of the 2110 it does not meet the insulation requirement.

So the R-value is too low? What about using a glass pad over cement board as long as the combined R-value is 1.0 or greater? (which is the required value for the 2110)

Last edited:
Yes, the glass on a base that brings up the insulation value to R=1.0 would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.