Mortar color on patch job

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_dude

Feeling the Heat
Feb 26, 2008
Southern WI
I just had my Majestic cheapo replaced with a Kozy Heat Z42CD. I was quite impressed with the job the crew did, and it looks great. They were able to patch everything in using stone they removed. The only issue is the new mortar from patching dried quite a bit lighter than the old mortar. The mortar is grey - no coloring or anything. Does anyone know anything I can apply to the mortar to make it darker? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Something I've done before with good success is go to a tile store and get a little rack of their grout samples to take home. Pick a color that matches what you're trying to do, go back and buy a bag of powder. Mix it real thin, like latex paint, and apply it with a little artist's brush to the mortar joints. If it dries a color you're not happy with, try a different grout. Rick

EDIT: Oh yeah...make sure you get the UNSANDED type of grout powder. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.