Mortarless Stone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
Thinking about placing mortarless stone over my existing brick fireplace. Looking for insight on how you attach it to existing brick. I'm thinking tapcon screws or something of the sort but like to get others thoughts that may have used it. I'm open to other alternatives as well. I don't know how well painted brick would hold a scratch coat so thats why I opted towards the mortarless but if someone knows another way let me know! Here's a pick of my fireplace and insert.

muwmz9.jpg

Last edited:
Paint and any type of glue don't play well together.

I seem to recall an earlier post here where either metal lath or concrete backer board was attached first to the brick using tapcons. Then grouted masonry was installed on that. I would recommend the backer board.

Sorry, no input on mortarless rock. I've only heard of that for exterior apps.

IMG_20141027_184632_698_zps8c7e58b9.jpg

I put up the stone in that wood storage area to the right of the fireplace. I screwed wire lathe into the plaster walls and then put up a scratch coat of mortar, and then the stone. It has held up extremely well, even with me carelessly throwing logs in there. You could probably use tapcons instead of screws.

I ended up with a good buy on cultured stone. My basement fireplace is grooved brick so I should have no trouble setting mortar there but the one in the picture is smooth so I'll be stripping paint I suppose.

I wouldn't recommend that.
What would the recommendation be? The alternatives that I have heard so far are;
1. Remove the paint. Either strip it or sand it

2. Screw lathe or backer board to the brick

From what I understand I just basically have to give the mortar something to get purchase on. Again any thoughts. The stone that I got is not the screw on type I first mentions (that was gonna cost me a fortune). WHat I got is dry stacked cultured stone.

Paint removal from brick can be very challenging and time consuming.
My suggestion, attach concrete backer board (Hardibacker or equiv.) using Tapcons and then attach the cultured stone tot he backer with mortar.

My suggestion, attach concrete backer board (Hardibacker or equiv.) using Tapcons and then attach the cultured stone tot he backer with mortar.
I don't know if that's an option. The front of the fireplace was constructed with a curve in in. No way I can get backer board flat

+1 that's how I did mine. Minus the tap cons just regular screws to steel studding One year later no issues. It's my avatar

I don't know if that's an option. The front of the fireplace was constructed with a curve in in. No way I can get backer board flat
It will flex somewhat as long as it's not too much

If you are covering the old painted surface anyway, you could try dragging a sharp old screwdriver or awl over the paint and see if it will dig into the brick. If you can get enough scratch lines, that is basically a scratch coat and the mortar will stick to it enough. Clay bricks should be very easy, cement bricks a bit harder but doable. Add some bonding agent to your mortar to make it stronger and you'll be fine.

Use the metal lathe then.

Status
Not open for further replies.